Prednisone can cause a redistribution of body fat to the face, back of the neck, and abdomen. The weight gain and redistribution is undesirable, to say the least. Chronic use of oral corticosteroids or frequent IM injections can also increase adipose tissue (type of connective tissue that contains stored cellular fat). How did you deal with weight gain from prednisone?Did You Gain Weight?
- Been given this twice now. First time no side effects, no weight gain, just finally pain free after a year of active crohns!! This time I have gained 14lbs in a week and my stomach and arms are massive. It's making me feel even more down. Sometimes I would rather the pain from crohns than have it in my head that I'm depressed and fat! Hopefully will lose the weight after I end this course :/
- —Guest leah
- Yes, I too have put on weight with Prednisone. I have COPD and have to use Steroid Puffers also. I started on 20mg of Preds in July, now on 12.5 mg but since on lower dosage the pains have returned. I am at a loss as to what to do. I am looking for answers.
- —Guest Irene
- I gained so much weight on Prednisone. Know that I have wasting syndrome and am losing so much weight and have no appetite. What is it in Prednisone that makes you hungry and can you get it?
- Since taking this twice this year for Gout, this is the first time I've weighed in over 300 lbs.
- —Guest Depressed
Gaining weight on prednisone
- I am having such a hard time losing 30 lbs. of weight before my gastric surgery. I was on prednisone for over a year, what do I do?
- —Guest yolandra jones
- When I first came down with Wegeners over 5 years ago, I went on Prednisone and did gain weight. (25 lbs) With dialysis, lower doses and lots of exercise I got some of the weight down. I had a kidney transplant 8 months ago and lost 35 pounds and am fighting to keep my new weight. Prednisone has caused my diabetes to go out of kilter and I have finally got some control over my sugar levels. My prednisone has been lowered but it is a constant fight every day to eat properly and watch the weight. I did not ever think that this was how I would be spending my retirement years.
- —Guest j mclachlan
Gaining weight despite healthy foods
- I have been on high dose prednisone for 8 weeks now. Was talking 120 mg but now starting to taper. I gained 12 pounds the first week which scared me b/c I am normally a fit person. I have tried everything to keep the weight under control but the food craving is insane. I try to eat healthy (tofu, quinoa, etc) and when I get cravings I just snack on veggies and pretzels. I have been exercising over an hour a day and still gaining weight but at a slower speed. I wonder if the salty pretzels are playing a role. Will try to cut out salt more. Urgh. This sucks.
- —Guest snacking and salt
- I'm 17 I was admitted into the hospital for 8 days and they had put me on 1000mg IV prednisone . EVERY DAY. Last day was 500mg now I take 70 mg. I was 160 pounds just two weeks ago. I'm pushing 190 now. WHAT DO I DO. I don't eat much. I try not to anyways. I have an autoimmune disorder. Anca, something rare with my kidneys. 15% kidney function they gave me 2 units of blood and currently have me on cellcept 2000mg a day. Any advice . Please help me not be so over weighttt.
- —Guest prednisone... I HATE IT
Causing my grandkids to gain weight
- My grandaughters are gaining weight on Prednisone -- please heip
- —Guest ottissa Dillard
Lost weight on Prednisone
- I was worried about gaining weight on Prednisone so I tracked my calories daily and just kept reducing my calories until I was maintaining my weight, then subtracted a 100 calories from that and started to lose weight. I started on 60mg and now am at 20mg of Prednisone. I think the key is I watch my salt, don't eat any processed foods, and have massively reduced my fat intake. It has been hard work but I'm down 40 lbs since starting on Prednisone. Don't buy the hype it doesn't have to make you fat.
- —Guest Brad
I don't know what to do! RA!!
- I have been taking prednisone since Jan. 2010, for RA. I have ranged from 20mg daily and now at 5mg. Also taking methotrexate and Simponi. At first, no weight change. But now fluctuating 15-20 lbs in excess. I'm 52 and had maintained at 145 lbs. for years, until about 12-18 months ago. I don't think the methotrexate and Simponi is helping (about 7-8 months now) I desperately want to get off of all these drugs and get back to my normal weight, but I don't think I can live without the prednisone! Not to mention that I have severe back problems and take an exorbitant amt of pain meds! They don't help the RA! I want my slim body back but I also want to be able to live and enjoy the rest of my life! What to do? I changed rheumatologist about a year ago and I like the new one much better. She seems to be trying to continue to lower my prednisone dosage, with positive results, until a few days ago. FLARE UP!!!! Knees and one shoulder so far. Hurting SO bad! I eat very little, take supplements.
- —Guest Angela
Depressed over weight with prednisone
- I had been taking prednisone for like 7 months. I gained 30 pounds and I am scared. My arms got very hard and thick, it even hurts my stomach and my back is very fat. I know I need help. I don't know how to clean it out of my system. please someone help!!!
- —Guest alma pineda
Fat and hairy
- I used to be a skinny girl but now I am very fat and hairy. I was on 100mg of prednisone which was too high of a dose and then went down to 60mg daily. I have started to taper down and am now on 35mg daily. I have gained 20 lbs and feel super guilty but I know it's not my fault. I no longer have hair, I have fur. The hair is so thick on my arms, back, and stomach. I gained fat im my chin, stomach, arms, and neck. I am tired and hungry all the time and constantly eat but I try to limit my calorie intake because I know I'm not helping myself.
- —Guest eaw
Prednisone for Acute Asthma
- I have been on Prednisone for approximately 3 years on doses from 5mg to 25mg. I am now down to 15mg, I am supposed to decrease the dose to get it as low as I can go. Last month, I ended up in the Respirologists office, an emergency appointment with severe wheezing and low lung capacity of 58%, usually it is 60% lung capacity. I have gained weight and continue to gain, have the round face and bulges at my neck base were the hollows would dent in before Prednisone. I have gained at the most 52 lbs and now that I have found out about lowering the salt intake and upping the potassium, I am praying that all will get better. I know that potassium helps with weight loss and I have never really salted but will not salt at all, now I cook all foods myself, no prepackaged food. I would love to do Yoga again but the wheezing is quite bad at times. Thanks for reading, I pray that my mistakes and new information helps at least one person. Bless you all!
- —Guest Lynn
Ankylosing Spondylitis, Crohn's
- I was on 60mg per day for almost 2 years. They said I would die without it. I had small children, so even though it did not help much with my pain, I took the med. I gained over 100lbs! I didn't even look human anymore, my nose and chin could not be seen through the swelling of the rest of my face! They had told me there were no other options, but when I ended up in the hospital still dying (bleeding and cannibalizing my own body muscle) then they decided to put me on Remicade. It is a TNF blocker that works well for autoimmune diseases. It took almost a year to get me off the prednisone because of adrenal shutdown. I have been off of prednisone for 5 years now, and due to my ongoing medical issues, have only lost 50lbs of what I gained on prednisone. I am frustrated, and feel lied to...there were obviously other options! But prednisone is cheap. People treat me like I am stupid and lazy! I spend 20% of my time in a wheelchair, I always fight my way back out! I am not lazy!
- —Guest Frustrated