I hate how I look now
- A year ago July, I was advised by a Dr. that I had what is called PMR and I had constant hip pain, shoulder pain and back pain, not to mention other assorted pains in my joints. I asked at that time if it could be Fibromyalgia and was advised definitely not. The Doctor then put me on 15 mg of prednisone to begin the dosage. It seemed to help the pain but I was not aware that the weight gain would be so dramatic. After 6 months and over 20 pounds later, I weaned myself off of the prednisone and went to a different Rheumatologist and she determined, after a very in-depth evaluation and exam that I in fact without a doubt have Fibromyalgia and therefore prednisone was not the med that I should be on. At that point I was so miserable with the weight and now I have gone up 3 sizes and cannot lose the big round belly that feels like I have swallowed a beach ball. I just have no clue on how to get rid of this and at 56 years old...feel like I will look like this the rest of my life..
Gained fat around my neck= double chin
- I am taking prednisone to protect my kidney. When will I be able to get off of it?
- —Guest john thornton
- I am 71. I first had PMR 14 years ago and put on a lot of weight with prednisone. Recently I lost 57 pounds with WW and about a month later I was put on prednisone for a week to see if the PMR had returned. I was in a lot of pain - arms legs shoulders etc. The pain more or less went after that week. I am now due to see the rheumatologist again and I am sure he'll want me to go on steroids again. After reading all your comments I think I will say no. PMR is meant to last two and a half years - I have had these pains over a year - I think I'd rather suffer another 18 months than go through what all you guys have suffered. Any advice?
- —Guest kaywire
- Was on for 15 days (50mg tapered to 10mg) for severe contact dermatitis--- gained 5#. Sure hoping this comes off since can workout again.
- —Guest schnauzermom
- I was disgnosed w/ minimal change disease (I'm 14) so before I went on the steroids I had about 70 pounds of water retention from lack of protein due to leaking kidney valves. So when I got on 60 mgs/day dosage of steroids, they made me lose all that water! And I felt great. But now...I have a moon face! And I gained 20 pounds! After the 60 mgs/day, they put me on 40 mgs every other day (which I'm on now) for four weeks. Soon, I'll be on 30 mgs every other day, then 20, then 10. I hate it so much, it's unreal. I have an appetite, and a bottomless stomach. You do the math. I have school in about 3 weeks, and I'm not looking forward to going back with a ginormous face/body. The worst part? I have stretch marks like any 4 time mother! And on my arms! It's awful! My body is ruined! And when the swelling went down in my body, my face got huge. So now I'm worried I can get stretch marks on my face. I hope it's impossible... Please tell me tell me the weight goes away once you're off the meds!
- —Guest Ry
Transplant and prednisolone use
- I had a transplant and through necessity had to be put onto prednisolone for life and I can honestly say I have never been so unhappy or so overweight. The gnawing constant hunger and the weight gain has been tremendous. four stone ... and that is apart from a multitude of other nasty side effects such as insomnia and incredible weakness. I dread this vile medication, but the GP's are no help to me at all. Surely there is sensible help or advice somewhere else?
- —Guest John
Stay off Prednisone if you can!
- I have been on prednisone for 2 weeks now and I'm constantly starving, no matter how much I eat. I have gained about 12 pounds and tonight I am stopping this awful medication.
- —Guest Adi
Don't eat carbs!!!
- After 3 treatments in the hospital of 1000 mgs a day for 5 days, I was put on 60 mgs/day then every other day. Started as a size 0 now a size 10! I was on it for almost 2 years and off it for 15 months. I don't understand how some people can RUN/JOG with water weight all over their body...I can barely stand! I've been told that while taking Pred DO NOT EAT CARBS because the body cannot process it properly. I went on a gluten free diet after stopping Pred and lost 16 pounds, but still about 35 overweight and it's ALL WATER. My back, and knees hurt every day, I don't heal as fast as I once did before Pred and I've researched and been to so many endocrinologists, nutritionists, and other doctors and NOT ONE DR. can tell me for certain if the water weight will ever go away! UGH!!!
- —Guest Oneof8atMayoClinic
- The weight gain is devastating as I have been on prednislone for the past year and gained 2 stone. Try to reduce the dose but have been unsuccessful. Please help.
- —Guest mc lean
- I've been on prednisone for 6 months now. I just dropped to 30mg a day and have gained a few more pounds for a grand total of 28 pounds! It's very fustrating even though I'm not eating much differently than I was before. I thought by dropping 10mg I would lose a pound or two but did not expect to gain. I can't stop sweating either and the mood swings......I also have alot of trouble concentrating and focusing.
- —Guest Holly
- Doc put me on for bronchitis - - for 14 days. I'd NEVER had such an appetite. Although I've been off for several days, I still have those cravings, especially for carb laden foods and have gained at least 3-5 pounds in a short time. I had been dieting successfully prior to the med, but am having a H%* of a time trying to get back into this mindset !!
- —Guest swker
Still having faith
- Still frustrated by my weight gain( I haven't lost anything). However I am very excited and extremely optimistic. I just realized that I was putting my faith in diets and exercising. I have decided to try God instead. I promise to submit a post by September 31st and by faith in God the results will be positive.
- —Guest Raquel
4 Weeks, 10 Pounds
- I have been taking prednisone for four weeks and already gained ten pounds. I don't know what to do about it!
- —Guest Marge
Been on it for 5 months 100mcg per day
- I have been on prednisone for around 5 months and am currently on the highest dose. It makes my body hurt with tiredness, breathing makes me tired. I have had 2 lots of radical breast surgeries in 2 months have been ill for almost 7 months and only recently got diagnosed with granulomas mastitus (which has lead to several breast abscesses, and tissue damage) now I have autoimmune disease, my body is mistaking itself for a parasite and attacking itself. Now to add insult to injury, I have put on over a stone in weight. 4lbs in 3 weeks. I was on the large side before but now I have piled on the pounds. I am constantly hungry, but eat small meals regularly. I feel like a cow constantly grazing!! I have tried eating fruit instead of other things but am still really hungry. Nurses joked about me eating desperate Dan pies but now its not funny anymore. My disease has not been helped by this huge amount of steroids, my wound has only just closed and already the abscesses are back. Help me
- —Guest anon
- I am 40 years old. Now my weight is 55 kg Have any suitable medicine please reply me.
- —Guest neyaz ahmad