- I was disgnosed w/ minimal change disease (I'm 14) so before I went on the steroids I had about 70 pounds of water retention from lack of protein due to leaking kidney valves. So when I got on 60 mgs/day dosage of steroids, they made me lose all that water! And I felt great. But now...I have a moon face! And I gained 20 pounds! After the 60 mgs/day, they put me on 40 mgs every other day (which I'm on now) for four weeks. Soon, I'll be on 30 mgs every other day, then 20, then 10. I hate it so much, it's unreal. I have an appetite, and a bottomless stomach. You do the math. I have school in about 3 weeks, and I'm not looking forward to going back with a ginormous face/body. The worst part? I have stretch marks like any 4 time mother! And on my arms! It's awful! My body is ruined! And when the swelling went down in my body, my face got huge. So now I'm worried I can get stretch marks on my face. I hope it's impossible... Please tell me tell me the weight goes away once you're off the meds!
- —Guest Ry
Transplant and prednisolone use
- I had a transplant and through necessity had to be put onto prednisolone for life and I can honestly say I have never been so unhappy or so overweight. The gnawing constant hunger and the weight gain has been tremendous. four stone ... and that is apart from a multitude of other nasty side effects such as insomnia and incredible weakness. I dread this vile medication, but the GP's are no help to me at all. Surely there is sensible help or advice somewhere else?
- —Guest John
Stay off Prednisone if you can!
- I have been on prednisone for 2 weeks now and I'm constantly starving, no matter how much I eat. I have gained about 12 pounds and tonight I am stopping this awful medication.
- —Guest Adi
Don't eat carbs!!!
- After 3 treatments in the hospital of 1000 mgs a day for 5 days, I was put on 60 mgs/day then every other day. Started as a size 0 now a size 10! I was on it for almost 2 years and off it for 15 months. I don't understand how some people can RUN/JOG with water weight all over their body...I can barely stand! I've been told that while taking Pred DO NOT EAT CARBS because the body cannot process it properly. I went on a gluten free diet after stopping Pred and lost 16 pounds, but still about 35 overweight and it's ALL WATER. My back, and knees hurt every day, I don't heal as fast as I once did before Pred and I've researched and been to so many endocrinologists, nutritionists, and other doctors and NOT ONE DR. can tell me for certain if the water weight will ever go away! UGH!!!
- —Guest Oneof8atMayoClinic
- The weight gain is devastating as I have been on prednislone for the past year and gained 2 stone. Try to reduce the dose but have been unsuccessful. Please help.
- —Guest mc lean
- I've been on prednisone for 6 months now. I just dropped to 30mg a day and have gained a few more pounds for a grand total of 28 pounds! It's very fustrating even though I'm not eating much differently than I was before. I thought by dropping 10mg I would lose a pound or two but did not expect to gain. I can't stop sweating either and the mood swings......I also have alot of trouble concentrating and focusing.
- —Guest Holly
- Doc put me on for bronchitis - - for 14 days. I'd NEVER had such an appetite. Although I've been off for several days, I still have those cravings, especially for carb laden foods and have gained at least 3-5 pounds in a short time. I had been dieting successfully prior to the med, but am having a H%* of a time trying to get back into this mindset !!
- —Guest swker
Still having faith
- Still frustrated by my weight gain( I haven't lost anything). However I am very excited and extremely optimistic. I just realized that I was putting my faith in diets and exercising. I have decided to try God instead. I promise to submit a post by September 31st and by faith in God the results will be positive.
- —Guest Raquel
4 Weeks, 10 Pounds
- I have been taking prednisone for four weeks and already gained ten pounds. I don't know what to do about it!
- —Guest Marge
Been on it for 5 months 100mcg per day
- I have been on prednisone for around 5 months and am currently on the highest dose. It makes my body hurt with tiredness, breathing makes me tired. I have had 2 lots of radical breast surgeries in 2 months have been ill for almost 7 months and only recently got diagnosed with granulomas mastitus (which has lead to several breast abscesses, and tissue damage) now I have autoimmune disease, my body is mistaking itself for a parasite and attacking itself. Now to add insult to injury, I have put on over a stone in weight. 4lbs in 3 weeks. I was on the large side before but now I have piled on the pounds. I am constantly hungry, but eat small meals regularly. I feel like a cow constantly grazing!! I have tried eating fruit instead of other things but am still really hungry. Nurses joked about me eating desperate Dan pies but now its not funny anymore. My disease has not been helped by this huge amount of steroids, my wound has only just closed and already the abscesses are back. Help me
- —Guest anon
- I am 40 years old. Now my weight is 55 kg Have any suitable medicine please reply me.
- —Guest neyaz ahmad
Yes, I gain 10kg for 20years
- I have SLE in my 11years old and I am now 30 years old. last time I was only 41-42kg , now I am 52-53kg. So sad. Last time I was slim, now I am so depressed with my moon face, big stomach, fat back etc. I eat very little but still fat. I tried on diet and only eat fruit n vege for Abt 1 year. Yes, that year I slim down a lot. But once I back to normal diet, then I become fat again! Very sad....
- —Guest Xiaoli
- I am only 16 and have RA and I am a cheerleader and softball player with a perfect athletic body, but then I got put on medication and now I lost my abs and my thigh muscles are consumed by fat. It doesn't look like I gained much weight because I lost a lot, but my body is now full of stretch marks :(.
- —Guest Morgan
- I also have gained weight-a lot! I used to be a size 4/6 now size 14 gained about 37 lbs uck!! I am on a low dose 10mg sometimes if I can 5mg. Can't go without or I can't funtion in life or work. What a horrible cycle but can't go without my pred.
- —Guest Debbie
- I AM TAKING PREDNISONE FOR POLYMYALGIA RHEUMATICA...IT IS HELPING WITH IT, BUT ALSO CAUSING WEIGHT GAIN....I STARTED ON 10MG NOW DOWN TO 2MG A DAY...FOR ABOUT A YR IM TOLD BY RHEUMATOLOGIST....WILL I LOSE THIS WEIGHT ONCE I STOP TAKING IT???
- —Guest CERITA