Definition: Orthovisc is a solution of high molecular weight hyaluronan. Orthovisc is similar to healthy human synovial fluid, a substance that lubricates the joints.
Orthovisc is one of the hyaluronates used in viscosupplementation. Orthovisc is injected directly into the knee joint to restore the cushioning and lubricating properties of normal joint fluid.
Fast Facts About Orthovisc Injections:
- Viscosupplementation has been studied for osteoarthritis treatment since the 1970s.
- Orthovisc was FDA approved on 02/05/04.
- Orthovisc injections are typically given weekly for 3 or 4 weeks.
- Orthovisc contains the highest concentration of hyaluronan available per injection.
- Orthovisc is considered a treatment or therapy, not a drug.
Also Known As: viscosupplementation, joint fluid therapy, hyaluronan injections, hyaluronate injections, joint fluid prosthesis, intra-articular knee injections
Common Misspellings: orthovisk, orothovisc, orthovesk, orthovusk
Examples: The doctor recommended Orthovisc injections to help the osteoarthritis in my knee. Orthovisc is a type of intra-articular knee injection.
CDRH Consumer Information Orthovisc High Molecular Weight Hyaluronan, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, May 3, 2004