Hyalgan is one of the hyaluronates used in viscosupplementation. With viscosupplementation, hyalgan is injected directly into the knee joint to restore the cushioning and lubricating properties of normal joint fluid.
Facts About Hyalgan Injections:
- Viscosupplementation has been studied for osteoarthritis treatment since the 1970s.
- Hyalgan was FDA approved on 05/28/97.
- Hyalgan injections are typically given once a week, one week apart, for a total of five injections. Some may benefit with only three.
- Hyalgan was the first FDA approved hyaluronan therapy.
- Hyalgan is considered a treatment or therapy, not a drug.
CDRH Consumer Information Hyalgan, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, July 2, 2002
Patient Information Hyalgan, Sanofi-Aventis, hyalgan.com.