Euflexxa is one of the hyaluronates used in viscosupplementation. Euflexxa is injected directly into the knee joint to restore the cushioning and lubricating properties of normal joint fluid.
Euflexxa is indicated for the treatment of knee pain in osteoarthritis of the knee in patients who have failed to respond to more conservative non-pharmacologic therapy and to simple analgesics (e.g. acetaminophen.) Use for other joints is being investigated.
Fast Facts About Euflexxa Injections:
- Viscosupplementation has been studied for osteoarthritis treatment since the 1970s.
- Euflexxa was FDA approved on 12/03/2004.
- Euflexxa injections are typically given weekly for 3 weeks.
- Euflexxa is the first non-avian derived hyaluronan.
- Euflexxa is considered a treatment or therapy, not a drug.
Euflexxa FAQs / Prescribing Information, euflexxa.com
Ferring Pharmaceuticals Announces Launch of Euflexxa For Osteoarthritis Knee Pain, News Release Ferring Pharmaceuticals Inc., November 14, 2005
Euflexxa Labeling Extended to Include Room Temperature Storage, PRNewswire, April 10, 2006