The Bottom Line
- Answers the question - what are TNF blockers and how do they work?
- Explains the differences between Enbrel, Remicade, and Humira.
- Spotlights patient experiences. Helps you decide if TNF blockers are for you.
- Packed with the latest.
- No cons. Book explains TNF is miracle for many, not for everyone.
- Author Scott J. Zashin M.D. - internal medicine and rheumatology - clinical assistant professor.
- Author M. Laurette Hesser - marketing, communications consultant - special interest in healthcare.
- A balanced explanation - not understating or overstating TNF blocker benefits and risks.
- Overview of arthritis presented in easily understood terminology.
- Information about older vs. newer arthritis medications explains the differences in how they work.
- Book is essential resource for arthritis patients considering a TNF blocker.
- Book is essential too for arthritis patients already on a TNF blocker - for better understanding.
- Helps you comprehend the current and future trends in arthritis therapies.
- Read the book and discuss any questions you have with your rheumatologist.
- Must-read for people interested in arthritis treatment. Among the best resources on my bookshelf.
Guide Review - Arthritis Without Pain - The Miracle Of TNF Blockers
- Celebrex (Celecoxib)
- Vioxx (Rofecoxib)(no longer on market)
- Bextra (Valdecoxib)(no longer on market)
- Mobic (Meloxicam)
- Arava (Leflunomide)
- Kineret (Anakinra)
- Enbrel (Etanercept)
- Remicade (Infliximab)
- Humira (Adalimumab)
It is Enbrel, Remicade, and Humira (the TNF blockers) which the authors dub "the arthritis miracle". A thorough explanation is offered regarding how each of these drugs work and the science behind their evolution. What the TNF drugs deliver in terms of success is told - "in multiple clinical studies involving tens of thousands of arthritis patients, TNF blockers produced noticeable improvement in 2 of every 3 patients". But also told is the fact that TNF blockers are not without risks and have possible serious side effects (in about 1 in 1000 patients). Of special interest is "The TNF Blocker Decision Matrix" - a self-test to help you and your doctor decide if TNF blockers are for you, plus information about choosing and starting a TNF blocker, as well as 25 frequently asked questions.