1. Popular theories about arthritis suggest the disease is caused by:
C. a combination of environmental and genetic factors
2. Of Caucasian people with ankylosing spondylitis, 90 percent have:
A. the HLA-B27 gene
3. The immune system gene HLA-DR4 has been associated with what type of arthritis?
A. rheumatoid arthritis
4. With rheumatoid arthritis, the disease rate for first-degree family members (parents, siblings, children) is:
B. modestly greater than for the general population
5. Rheumatoid arthritis is not considered an inherited disease but genes associated with the disease increase the risk of its development:
6. Genetic predisposition for arthritis suggests:
B. a person may develop arthritis due to genetics and other risk factors
7. A study revealed that lupus occurred in the other sibling of 24 percent of identical twins as well as:
B. 2 percent of the non-identical twins
8. What percent of lupus patients have a family member with an autoimmune disease?
B. 11 percent
9. In an identical versus non-identical twin study that assessed the development of osteoarthritis:
A. identical twins had double the risk of developing knee or hand osteoarthritis if the other twin had osteoarthritis
10. Study results showed that sisters of women with osteoarthritis had double the risk of developing hand osteoarthritis than the general population, and the risk was even higher if the sister with osteoarthritis:
C. had a severe disease course
11. Specific joints (i.e. knee, hip, spine etc.) affected by osteoarthritis:
A. may have their own gene mutation causing the disease
12. Identifiable genes (i.e. HLA-B27, HLA-DR4) associated with various types of arthritis suggest:
A. the genetic predisposition for the disease may be passed to a child
13. The HLA-DR4 gene has been associated with rheumatoid arthritis and has also been linked to:
C. Lyme disease
14. What percentage of people with osteoarthritis are estimated to have a specific gene mutation responsible for their disease?
A. 25 percent
15. The HLA-B27 gene which has been linked to ankylosing spondylitis and other spondyloarthropathies is:
A. also found in seven percent of the general population
16. Though we know some genes play a role in the predisposition for rheumatic diseases:
A. genetic research as it pertains to arthritis in still in early stages
Go Back to Genetic and Arthritis - Test Your Knowledge
- More About Genetics Research and Arthritis
- Other Popular Quizzes on Arthritis & Related Rheumatic Conditions
Heredity and Arthritis. American College of Rheumatology.
Patient Information: Rheumatoid Arthritis symptoms and diagnosis. UpToDate.
What Are Heritable Disorders of Connective Tissue?. Health Topics. NIAMS.