Avoid damaging your joints even more by using common sense, good body mechanics, and assistive devices.
Time Required: 30 minutes
- Do gentle range-of-motion exercises daily. Put each joint through its full range of motion by bending, stretching, and extending the joint and surrounding muscles.
- Adjust your activity level according to your pain level.
- Make an effort to maintain your ideal weight.
- Pace yourself by balancing rest and activity.
- Use assistive devices to preserve your joints.
- Use the largest or strongest joint possible when doing a specific task.
- Avoid excessive pressure or stress on the small joints of the hand.
- Change positions as often as possible.
- Extend your joints as opposed to contracting them.
- Avoid heavy lifting if possible.
- Whenever possible, sit instead of standing.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- If an activity feels like too much, it is too much.
- Know and respect your limitations.
- Good nutrition and exercise help to keep your weight in check.