Improve your chance of being awarded Social Security Disability benefits on the first attempt.
Time Required: 5 hours
- Apply by calling 1-800-772-1213, or by visiting your local Social Security office, or by mail.
- Gather pertinent information for each person applying for benefits, including spouse and children if they are applying.
- You will need: Social Security numbers of all applicants.
- Original or certified copies of birth certificates for proof of age of all applicants.
- Spouses death certificate if applying as a disabled widow/widower.
- Dates of any prior marriages if spouse is applying.
- Summary of employers names and addresses for past 15 years.
- Copy of W-2, and if self-employed, federal tax return for past year.
- Names, addresses, phone numbers of doctors, hospitals, clinics where you were treated, including dates and reason for treatment.
- Names, dosages, and side effects of all medications you are taking.
- Medical records from doctors, therapists, and hospitals including laboratory and test results.
- Thorough explanation of why you can no longer work.
- Do not delay filing for benefits just because you think you do not have all the information you will need.
- Answer the application in great detail and make a copy before mailing back.
- Understand the process and have patience.