1. Health

Carol Eustice

FDA Panel Recommends More Restrictions on Vicodin and Other Hydrocodone Drugs

By January 26, 2013

On Friday, January 25, 2013, an advisory panel to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration voted 19 to 10 to recommend moving hydrocodone combination drugs, such as Vicodin, Lortab, and Norco to the schedule II category of controlled substances. If the FDA follows the panel's recommendation and moves hydrocodone combination drugs from their current schedule III to schedule II, prescribing practices would be more restricted. Many arthritis patients use hydrocodone combination drugs to manage their pain.

Drugs and other substances that are considered controlled substances under the Controlled Substances Act are divided into 5 schedules. Classification is based on whether a drug or substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the U.S., its abuse potential, and the likelihood of causing dependence when abused. Here is a closer look at the 5 schedules.

The move from schedule III to II would disallow prescribing hydrocodone combination drugs for up to a 6-month period per prescription. Doctors would no longer be able to call in or fax a prescription for these drugs. Schedule II drugs require a written prescription for no more than a 3-month supply per prescription.

Those fighting to prevent prescription drug abuse and the fatal consequences that result from opioid abuse sit on one side of this issue. It has become an epidemic and a problem we as a society must recognize and address. Yet, there is the other side of the issue which cannot be ignored -- appropriate access to opioid medications for people living with chronic pain conditions, such as arthritis. If, implemented, will the schedule change for hydrocodone combination drugs and corresponding restrictions produce an unneccessary burden for people who need the drugs to function in their daily lives? Would the change cause doctors to shy away from prescribing the drugs, creating problems with access for people who live with chronic pain? Are the needs of chronic pain patients being overlooked or sacrificed because fighting prescription drug abuse has become a more urgent battle? Or, is the proposal simply justifiable? What do you think? Sound off.

Related Articles:

Facebook | Twitter | Message Board | Newsletter

Photo by David Sucsy (iStockphoto)

Comments
January 26, 2013 at 7:11 pm
(1) Steven C says:

I live in FL and I MUST get a written prescription from the Dr. for every months prescription of painkillers. No prescriptions (or renewals) by phone or fax permitted. I have severe arthritis in my back in the painkillers dull it down to a level I can live with.

I am not sure if this policy will in any way diminishes the abuse of painkillers as it is the prescribers (Doctors) who are the gatekeepers. As long as you have irresponsible prescribers (Doctors), you will have rampant abuse.

I think all patients should be governed by FL example.

Just my 2 cents worth.

January 26, 2013 at 7:32 pm
(2) Marcy says:

My mother had severe chronic pain related to arthritis and was prescribed various opiates. For someone who was struggling to maintain her independence, these types of restrictions made it much more difficult.

I understand that there are too many who abuse but adding restrictions for a vulnerable population is unfair to them

January 26, 2013 at 7:35 pm
(3) Mike says:

What about hospice patients? We are only able to prescribe 2 weeks worth and now it would take a hard script each time? Unworkable…

January 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm
(4) Mig Mo says:

When the pharmaceutical companies can give free samples to the doctors who are pharma shareholders without oversight we will continue to all be part of the joining of the Lunesta movement

January 26, 2013 at 8:22 pm
(5) Jerry says:

As a veteran and hydrocodone user it concerns me when things start changing like this, the drugs do not seem to affect me like most I am not hooked on them and only take as needed. I do understand there is a risk of becoming hooked but most people who are using them will do so for life so what does it matter if they do get hooked as long as they can get some relief! It sucks to be in pain all the time and I welcome anything that gives any relief and hope it is not complicated because someone needs to justify there job!

January 26, 2013 at 8:25 pm
(6) Glenn says:

Bureaucrats who make such laws ignore the plight of the millions of chronic pain sufferers who already are stripped of their dignity to get the meds that make life tolerable. Why should the -patients who need these medications – already sick – be asked to jump through more hoops or be denied entirely because parents don’t parent and the notion of personal responsibility no longer seems in the cards. The bureaucrats have no idea what they are doing. They have no medical training. recently, the idiots tried to ban liquid morphine, used primarily by hospice for people who are dying. Only Hospice’s forceful lobbying stopped that.
Living with pain is like living with no life. If there are drugs that can alleviate that pain, they should be available. If someone wants to buy them illegally and overdoses; I can’t help that. Surely anyone knows that making it difficult for legal use won’t have any effect on illicit use; just another profit center for the drug gangs and prison complexes.
The whole drug war is a failure and waste beyond what most Americans understand. But when they take away tools from doctors, or so terrorize them that they just won’t prescribe narcotics to anyone the system is broken.
Wouldn’t it be better to legalize all the drugs, shut down the multi trillion dollar failure that’s the drug war, stop stuffing our prisons full of non violent offenders and use 10% of the money to educate the users of the true effects (usgov will only give grants to folks looking for the bad effects. they are not interested in any good effects).
There’s many things that could be done to take ‘street drugs’ off the street, put them in stores where users could at least know what there getting isn’t pesticide. The savings to our bankrupt government should be inviting. But making it more difficult for those truly in need is worse than insanity. Wait till it’s your Mother groaning and unable to move to the bathroom. Wait till it’s you. AGE IS NOT KIND.

January 26, 2013 at 8:31 pm
(7) Claudia says:

Amen Jerry, I am in constant pain every day. Without these drugs my life would be miserable, not to mention it would restrict my mobility,severely. Why do the innnocent have to suffer for the abusers?

January 26, 2013 at 8:31 pm
(8) JboJonas says:

LEGALIZE CANNABIS!!

January 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm
(9) Deacon says:

I live in Arkansas and most pain management doctors have left their practices here….because of the restriction on their ability by the state to help their patients manage their chronic pain. Now the FDA wants to put more restriction on the very medicines people like myself (two back surgeries) need to manage chronic nerve pain. I am sure our beloved state government will follow suit with more restrictions too!!

This is our liberal federal and state democratic governments at work.

January 26, 2013 at 8:44 pm
(10) Prof Robert Rychert says:

This is a very irrational move since rural communities are most often served by NP’s and PA’s. It is my understanding that they will not be authorized to write scripts for pain meds. Probably this shifts more patients to the “pain centers.” It is difficult to see how any of this will curb abuse. The most important consideration is that people in pain need their pain meds to function. I don’t sense compassion in this vote.

January 26, 2013 at 8:44 pm
(11) Luke says:

Bureaucratic DoGooders….Too many dumb stupid rules that do nothing but make life harder for folks. Try asking your doctor for just about anything these days and they will go out of their way to give you anything else…Try asking them to call anything in…not without seeing them first for $200- $300 bucks…all docs do these days is read blood test anyway…they refuse to believe the symtoms right in front of their eyes….a computer could do the job!

January 26, 2013 at 8:45 pm
(12) pete says:

I’m a pharmacist. Moving a drug from schedule 3 to schedule 2 is not going to fix anything. It will only serve as an inconvenience to patients, doctors and pharmacies. More paperwork and time waiting for everyone.

January 26, 2013 at 8:51 pm
(13) David says:

I am recovering from ACL and lateral meniscus surgery in South Florida. At one point I figured that the pain was going away and I did not ask for a renewal. Then, physical therapy increased and I was out of the vicodin. I am ever thankful that my Dr was able to call in the script. The alternative would be an hour drive one way (traffic is horrendous west to east and east to west) and another hour drive home. Then, I would ahve been forced to wait 30 minutes for CVS to fill the script.
Don’t throw the baby out with the dirty bathwater.

January 26, 2013 at 8:55 pm
(14) Ed says:

The government continues to mess with every aspect pf our lives. Needy people get hurt while the recreational users simply turn to illegal drugs and also alcohol. From increasing taxes, to Obamacare increasing everyone’s premiums, except those dependent on welfare, many are deciding the U.S. is not the place to live anymore. We just had a record year of citzens renouncing therir U.S. citizenship and moving to more hospitable nations. We will continue the decay of this nation as the government continues making decisions for doctors and continues taking more of wage earners’ money. The FDA and EPA are two of the worst money sucking agencies ever created.

January 26, 2013 at 9:08 pm
(15) Steve Bruning says:

My wife NEEDS oxycodone every day to just get out of bed due to back nerve pain because of two back surgeries. I wish I could transfer the constant pain she endures daily to a few high placed government officials for a few days. Then they would be screaming for relief. No roadblocks then.

January 26, 2013 at 9:08 pm
(16) phillip says:

I am a pharmacist and have seen the overprescribing of these drugs in a never ending upward spiral over the last 20 years. The U.S. currently uses 80 percent of the world’s opioids and 99 percent of the world’s hydrocodone and we are but a mere 4.6 percent of the world’s population. What I also see is that the patients who start taking high doses and large quantities of these drugs never get better. They suffer from allodynia and hyperalgesia. In other words they have increased response to pain so they are always chasing pain relief with more and more tablets and higher doses. Its a never ending cycle that only comes to an end with death or intervention. The drug companies have downplayed and profited from the addiction potential of these drugs. Its time to get it back under control. The pendulum must swing the other way. Doctors are the gatekeepers they need to be educated about the abuse potential, the diversion potential and the true cost to society caused by their overprescribing. Most heroin users say that they started by taking pain killers found in their paren’ts medicine cabinets. If you don’t think doctors are out of control read the article about the Doctor in NM that had 21 patients die of overdoses from the 3 million units of controlled substances that he prescribed. His respons,”Americans love drugs”!

January 26, 2013 at 9:14 pm
(17) Justin Sayin says:

These drugs are particularly insipid since they work very effectively the first few times you take them, but in order to maintain their efficacy, patients need to take more and more to maintain their comfort level. This is a slippery slope and before you know it you are reliant or addicted to a drug just so that you can feel normal. meanwhile it is rotting your liver and life at the same time. These drugs were a bad solution in the first place but they make a lot of money for the big Pharms. Literally the opiate of the masses!!

January 26, 2013 at 9:20 pm
(18) Robert Furtkamp says:

I suffer from chronic pain thanks to bad genetics. Stage 4 lymphedema where your tissues are splitting themselves and corrupting everything around it is loads of fun.

I’m in a wheelchair if going out of the house is involved, and sometimes in house (I try to keep what little mobility I have left). Going out to pick up a prescription would be like invading Normandy Beach once a month or two – I already get my prescriptions delivered.

I’ve been responsible. I don’t have a prescription as large as I used to need – I don’t dispense them to anyone. They let me have what little life I have left in combination with other medication.

Making it more difficult for my doctor to provide me with what I need doesn’t accomplish anything.

January 26, 2013 at 9:40 pm
(19) james r says:

Do they not realize that most of the street hydrocodone, or any prescribed poll for that matter, doesn’t even come from this country.

January 26, 2013 at 9:48 pm
(20) Vicki says:

I have advanced metastatic pancreatic cancer — was given 3 to 5 months to live 1 1/2 years ago. I’ve been allowed to take up to 60 mg of hydrocodone per day all that time. Instead, I average taking 30 mg of hydrocodone per day all this time. It takes away the sting of the strong back-ache associated with pancreatic cancer, and also cuts back the pain of a herni from an operation for a previous cancer.

I feel no need to take more than 30 mg per day (three 10 mg pills /day) with rare exceptions. A couple of times I’ve taken a bit more, when I twisted my knee, etc. So I don’t think the hydrocodone loses it’s effectiveness over time — at least, it hasn’t done so for me.

Given how deeply unpleasant life is without this pain medicine, vs. how much more comfortable I am WITH the pain medicine, I do hope I’ll still have access to it through my oncologist (he’s the person who found the new treatment in a journal article which has kept me alive and quasi-healthy-feeling all this time.)

With the medication, I feel I’m still living a useful life — tutoring physics, math and chemistry — in general, turning science-haters and/or those who have some difficulties with the science and/or math…..into science and/or math lovers…….bare minimum, they no longer are intimidated by these subjects, and in a bunch of cases, will hopefully now have a much improved probability to become the doctors, nurses, physicists, and chemists that they had previously dreamed about becoming.

January 26, 2013 at 10:20 pm
(21) chris says:

I am in pain every minute of everyday. If there was a way to go with out painkillers I would. I already take a drug test to show my Dr.I am taking them and not selling them. I could not work if I did not have them. Then I would be on govt. Assiists. If all Dr.made their patience take drug test then this may not be an issue. Once again we all suffer for what someone else does wrong.

January 26, 2013 at 10:23 pm
(22) JC says:

My father is elderly diagnosed with spinal stenosis after a fall. He didnt plan or ask for this to happen, being bed ridden with pain. Let him die with dignity being as comfortable as possible, after all he worked about 50yrs, was & is a good citizen and father. As for myself let me suffer pain with osteoarthritis, fibromyligia, bursa, nerve pain on feet, back pain from being a gymnast, in a car accident, working as a telephone outside tech -gaffing poles & lets not forget still suffering other side effects of peg-interferon since 2002. Now the bureaucracy is saying spend more money for gas or bus to get a script and then suffer 6 months out of the year and my quality of life with no medicine. Ridiculous!! When do we vote?

January 26, 2013 at 11:32 pm
(23) CCRN, Othromolecular Med says:

I am a firm believer in addressing the root cause of peoples pain to help eliminate it. This idea however, is wrong, wrong, wrong! People need their medications for hundreds of reasons. Perhaps the government should have other things in place several years before attempting a change like this. Having insurance companies belly up for nutritional IV therapy and Naturopathic treatments/ visits (which deal with a more nutritional base). Until we become more in line with fixing a persons underlying problem, they will continue to have the pain indefinitely! I also agree that legalizing cannabanoids can help improve a persons pain and overall condition (without using the high THC “smokers” drug). The FDA already holds a multitude of patents on medical marijuana…..Hmmmmm how then do they get to reap the benefits medically and the person with pain, seizures or chronic disease cannot?????

January 27, 2013 at 4:10 am
(24) My Opinion Does Count CLS says:

I had medication taken from me during the move time from one state to another. I lived in pain and took so much tylonal and motron that it began to make me sick and shutting down my kidneys. Soon as I stopped taking them, thank god, I didn’t have to go through Dialysis. I have Fibriomyalgia, RA, Sclariderma, Barretts and ostio plus am now on oxygen daily, so there is no relief, just a bit of ease. No pain, only when they decide to do another surgery, when I am put under, omg, is that what it feels like to be without pain (My thoughts as I am going under).

I am lucky to have a wonderful caring doctor that is aware of what I am going through and I am prescribed what is needed, however to be on the safe side, I don’t always take what I am allowed…some days I do the suffering with a non-narcotic for a couple of days, this in turn helps the Vicodin work better when I return to them. I do not consider this an addiction, I consider it a necessity. Lets get these people that are good actors out of the dr’s offices that make a profit due on the sale of these drugs, and remember that we humans have a right to have proper medical treatment and pain assistance.

Sometimes I wonder why our animals are treated better then we are, oh that’s right, we understand the pain, and vets are allowed to prescribe for them what is needed and give them an end when their time has come.

I realize that there are many that are cheating the system, don’t let those that do this inflict pain on those that are in need or in their last days. When my mother was not given her pain meds on her last days, my father was mortified…and when he became Ill with cancer, until I moved in with him to care for him, I discovered he was afraid to take the pain meds prescribed because of what they had done to mom. This just is not right… Think carefully before you inflict pain onto others, remember you oath, do no harm!

January 27, 2013 at 8:56 pm
(25) Kitlish says:

And that will make it near impossible to get effective *short term* pain medications in some place with some insurance. I am allergic to hydrocodone, but ended up having to pay out of pocket for 15 tablets of oxycodone when I had kidney stones. The insurance didn’t CARE that I was allergic to vicodin, they demanded my script be changed to it because it *wasn’t* schedule II.

January 27, 2013 at 9:51 pm
(26) ray says:

As a dentist I need to be able to call in potent analgesics at times and if the FDA moves this to schedule II I will no longer be able to call in pain relief. The patient will have to wait until the next day or drive back to my office to pick it up.

January 28, 2013 at 2:43 am
(27) Kat says:

I agree that it should be more strictly controlled. Patients using it honestly medicinally for pain over a prolonged period of time are at an increased risk of developing an additction. Once an addiction is reached, the patient will need higher and higher doses to treat the pain, thus further feeding the addiction. Its a vicious cycle that needs to be stopped. These narcotics need to be made more difficult to obtain. As a result, marijuana should be legalized. It is shown to be effective in relieving pain and useful for various medical discomforts. Furthermore, it has not been shown to produce harmful effects to the body, certainly not any more harmful than opioids and other narcotics, plus it has not been shown to be addictive.

January 28, 2013 at 10:38 am
(28) terry says:

This is the biggest political game ever! They are trying to convince people that hydrocodone is now the most prescribed and abused drug in the U.S. They took darvocet off the market because supposedly it was no longer good for people, especially our seniors, which I am beginning to wonder if any of it is even true since darvocet had been around since the beginning of pain pills. I know it was one of the weakest out there, but it did work for a lot of people. We all know it is almost next to impossible to be prescribed a schedule 11 medication unless you are dying. So what does that leave? Hydrocodone, currently a schedule 111 medication. And our government is so surprised that it’s the only medication doctors even feel slightly comfortable prescribing their patients?? How dumb do they think we are?? They make almost everything else impossible to get and then direct all the attention on the hydrocodone. They also know that if they can make this a schedule 11 instead of the 111, the fines and penalties will be greater for doctors and patients in need for pain relief which in turn only lines the pocket of the pigs the run this country we live in.

January 28, 2013 at 2:47 pm
(29) SharonM says:

Again, we in the chronic pain community are going to suffer a great inconvenience because of drug abusers. This effort of changing from schedule III to II will mean we must get a paper prescription and mail it directly to our drug fulfillment company to get our 90 day script. It’s a sorry day when we have to jump through hoops due to a ill conceived notion that this will stop, who? from getting narcotic pain meds?
The process I go through now for a 90 day script for Oxycontin delays my getting my medication on time. There have been many times the company has screwed up an order on me and I have had to call my doctor for a bridge script thus I have to pay double and get less for my money. I can ill afford this scenario on a fixed income. I pay my own monthly medical for my own private insurance I am not on Medicare/Medicaid.
I don’t understand the idea behind this anyway. It will not cut down on drug abuse. This will not benefit anyone.

January 28, 2013 at 4:21 pm
(30) Ann says:

I think our government needs to leave the medical issues up to the Medical Physicians and they deal with the politics.

Just because the government thinks people are abusing drugs, doesn’t necessarily mean they are.

If drugs are sold on the black market, then do something about the criminals, not the people who have chronic pain.

The only thing I see happening with changing Vicodin to Schedule II, is the patients are going to have to see physician once a month and pay their co-payment which could be $80 a month and then co-pay for the prescription. Those still in the workforce will then need to take off from work, which the Employer is not going to be fond of.

But it doesn’t matter what you or anyone else thinks. FDA is going to do what they want.

January 30, 2013 at 10:48 am
(31) Alison says:

Glenn I am with you!!

I just turned 64 and my arthritis has kicked into overdrive this winter. After having had two surgeries on both of my thumbs I thought I understood pain. I do not! With hip replacement looming I am just begining to learn,,,

January 30, 2013 at 10:53 am
(32) Monnie says:

I have had chronic pain from fibromyalgia and arthritis, bursitis, and now multiple myeloma.

My oncologist did not want to prescribe time release 10 mg oxycontin because “people get addicted”

I NEVER take one for sleep unless I am in more pain than usual, counting on aspirin and muscle relaxing low dose Ativan (1 mg) instead.

I doubt that I am all that unusual. Folks like me who are in real pain, and only use oxycontin/oxycodone don’t tend to be come addicted!

Combinations with acetamine scare me because of liver effects.
Combined with aspirin I would try, but if it works, don’t fix it!
I will never be an addict, only using drugs when ABSOLUTELY necessary.

January 30, 2013 at 11:03 am
(33) Ladonna says:

This will not stop the abuse. I need my

pain pills to get the pain down to a livable level. This is not fair yo us people that have real chronic pain. The abuser will always get the pills it is the honest people that are in true pain that will suffer. I’m tiered of being fewed as someone that is a druggie. That is how Dr. treat u when u tell them you are in pain.

January 30, 2013 at 11:16 am
(34) Linda says:

I understand wanting to prevent further drug abuse. I do not understand why terminal patients & people like myself should have to suffer when the prescriptions are so regulated. If the doctor does his job the way it is handled now, there should not be abuse. I do not currently take Vicoden. I have received it when I had back surgery because my back was so bad, I could not even walk & when I had a broken arm. I have Fibromyalgia & Arthritis. I was in bed for a year with muscle spasms from the fibromyalgia. I also do not understand why if the government is so concerned about addiction why are there cigarettes & alcohol on shelves in stores. My doctor does not want me to take Nsaids, but I have to or I would not get thru the day. The are very upsetting to the stomach & I already have gastrointestional problems. I do the best I can, but there have been times when I could not stand the pain, I have grabbed a bottle of wine to dull the pain.

January 30, 2013 at 12:03 pm
(35) sue says:

Doctors in CA do not offer refills on vicodin and people do abuse it and love it – same with kloncopin; however, if someone wants a drug they will get it or go to multiple doctors – nothing is stopping that even with insurance.

January 30, 2013 at 12:32 pm
(36) Sallie says:

My pain management already treats Lotab as schedule II. I am tested every quarter without warning, can only get my scripts with a hard copy and must see them at least every 3 months.Yet, my doctors are very compassionate. I think that they should monitor the doctors that are writing prescriptions in higher ratio than normal and stop the illegal drugs coming into the country. Patients shouldn’t be able to initially come in without some kind of test or proof of disease to get pain relief.
As to kids getting hooked, they make a choice and so do the parents that don’t pay attention or keep their drugs where the kids can steal them. That’s bad parenting after the first time the drugs are missing.
The government should worry more about the problems that Tylenol cause than a panel that doesn’t have the pain problems deciding what to do about legitimate patients.

January 30, 2013 at 12:36 pm
(37) Ellen says:

It is one thing for the government to try to stop illegal sales of scheduled medications by drug dealers to people who only want to use them to get high. It is quite another thing to make it extremely difficult for people who truly require pain medication to get through their day and to function in a relatively “normal” way, continue to work and to have the ability to cope with their conditions. I for one am sick and tired of having to wait until my pharmacy can get the medication from its wholesalers, to have to call around to different drug stores to find out who has the medication in stock, and to have to come close to running out before I can get the prescription filled. Also, having to see my doctor once a month to get a new prescription is causing higher costs in my Medicare plan; this can push me closer to the “doughnut hole”, during which time I have to pay cash for my medication ($100+ a month). I have to pay a co-pay when I see my doctor.

Ultimately I think it should be between the doctor and the patient to determine if the patient is abusing a medication or is using it appropriately. The government’s interference with a doctor’s ability to do what he or she considers best for the patient is inappropriate. I think it’s become out of control; between the insurance companies dictating which medications can be prescribed by a doctor through their formularies and the government interfering with a patient’s access to prescribed medication, the situation is become absurd.

January 30, 2013 at 12:49 pm
(38) Jan says:

Reading all the comments makes me very sad and quite angry. People that do not live with chronic pain don’t understand how it feels and furthermore, if those people can’t see it, then they have no clue and can be quite cruel. I have severe osteoarthritis in my spine and elsewhere….pretty much in every joint..and I have good days and bad…mostly bad. I have had 2 people make snide remarks to me for parking in a handicap space, even though I have a placard. They can’t see my pain! The FDA has no business handing down such a judgement. They should instead have a panel of chronic pain patients so that they can get the real story on pain meds…….

January 30, 2013 at 12:59 pm
(39) Val Miller says:

There is a central data base physicians can use in California to check on what prescriptions a person fills. It tells them what the prescription is for, who prescribed it, the date it was filled and the pharmacy that filled it. It seemes like if this information is required to be reported, it should cut down on “doctor-shopping” and people obtaining more prescription drugs than are needed. I don’t think making these precriptions more of a hassle to get will eliminate people from abusing them. They will just get them off of the street.

January 30, 2013 at 2:16 pm
(40) Sandra says:

My sister had chronic pain from breast cancer and it was only managed by vicodin. I had trouble getting teh prescription several times. I had to call the oncologist one time and get script from the hospital because the pharmacy had failed to get the order of vicodin in even thought I had ordered it two weeks befoare. the politicians and people in the FDA who want to pass this bill are evidently not in chronic pain. If they had to watch a loved one in severe pain just once, they would not pass this bill.

January 30, 2013 at 3:18 pm
(41) Barbara says:

I’ve taken Vicodin ES for severe arthritic pain for about 5 years, and it has enabled me to live a normal life. With the FDA reformulation of Vicodin, my pain has become difficult to manage. Norco may have the same ingredients as Vicodin, but it is not, not, not identical. I am so sick of hearing that it is! It is weak and not effective.
I also have gastritis, and am now actually taking NSAIDS with the Norco to treat pain, albeit with an acid reducer.
Ironically, the F DA’s attempt to make us safer by meddling with hydrocodone products has actually endangered me. I was never addicted to an opioid and was on the same dosage all the time I took it. No matter. Everyone’s a junkie now, thanks to the FDA and its stupidity and inflexibility.
Does the FDA think that pain patients are just going to cower in a corner taking this? These regulations are going to create a whole new class of people looking for street drugs and feelgood doctors. Instead of making things better, things have been made much worse.
I’m on Medicare, and Medicare can’t be used outside the U.S. Otherwise, I would consider changing countries. I am so sick of what goes on in the U.S. today.
Compared to many, I am in relative good shape. I don’t know what patients in far worse pain, in rural areas, unable to afford the extra costs of these regulations, will do.
Hopefully, the FDA will have the wisdom and compassion to not act on this vicious advisory. We can always hope.

January 30, 2013 at 4:59 pm
(42) Arlene says:

Evidently these people supporting this change do not have a condition that requires pain medication. This never would have been considered if it impacted them personally.

January 30, 2013 at 5:57 pm
(43) C Jones says:

Though I am only one voice, I hear many others in these comment who are like me and live with chronic pain every second. Unlike those who don’t have that kind of pain, we have learned to live with it as best we can and only take drugs when we can’t stand the intense pain. I have taken oxycodone for the last 4 years but only off and on when I “have” to take it. Yes, some people abuse it but they will abuse it whether the class of drug has been changed or not! My doctor monitors me and I montior myself! I have Osteoarthritis (degenerative arthritis) and I have been able to cut back on my oxycodone by using SAM-e. I have never been addicted to oxycodone, it has never stopped working for me, and if anything, I am addicted to not being in pain whatever means it takes to get there. So this change is a bad idea and if I had a vote, which I will not have, I would vote against it.

January 30, 2013 at 6:33 pm
(44) Janet says:

I think they are wrong. If someone wants to abuse anything, they will find something or some way to do it. I say this is to much work on the Doctors, and the pharmacies. They were wrong for removing Darvocett- from the self. Some people don’t have money to go to the doctor so often, especially when you are seeing other types of doctors. This gets exspensive.
What about all the dangers that come with RA medications? If the FDA had to live in constant pain, they would understand – how it’s wrong to punish these people that are responsible!

January 30, 2013 at 6:57 pm
(45) Barbie says:

I’m an Arthriitis patient and totally disabled due to the systemic progression of the disease. I hate the fact that I have to have /depend on more and more medication to be able to do just small amounts of daily activities. If I didn’t have pain medication, my death would be horribly excrutiating. It’s not my fault that here are drug abusers and I should not be penalized because I have a disease. The pain and deformity and monetary cost are penaly enough.

January 30, 2013 at 7:04 pm
(46) Kat says:

I have three autoimmune disorders and the worst one so far, rheumatoid arthritis, is a brutally painful condition. I take Norco and fortunately don’t have to take it every day. But when the pain is so bad all I can do is curl up and cry I absolutely need stromg painkillers. I can appreciate monitoring drug use. Why not place people who are medically proven to have conditions needing painkillers in their own category? Yes of course there are doctors who are part of the problem. There are also many honorable ones.
This decision is the typical broad-brush sweep solhtion when categorizing would be more appropriate.

January 30, 2013 at 7:23 pm
(47) Susan says:

For every action there is a reaction…it is unfortunate that those with health issues have to be punished due to those with addictive personalities. But it is that way with every rule and law that has been made. It is always because someone does not play fair or abuses their privilages but sadly those who abuse find a way to get what they want while those suffering cannot get what they need to help themselves.

It is best to never start taking any pain medicaion until there is no other alternative. Try every other resource first (exercise, acupunture, massage, OTC medications, herbal supplements, rubs, heat, ice) drugs and surgery should be last resorts and those who need it should have access and deserves the right to be relieved of pain.

January 31, 2013 at 10:08 am
(48) james says:

I think that all the pain we suffer should be dropped on those bastards who want to restrict them to people who need them.I’ll bet THEY would get them!I think it has mostly to do with the big drug companies no longer hold control of these drugs,as they are now generic.So they don’t make billions.When are we gonna take our rights back fron this damed corrupt thing we call a government??? James

February 1, 2013 at 12:38 pm
(49) Linda says:

This is like gun control. Those that want them for illegal purposes will get them. People that live with chronic pain are already disdained for use of pain killers because we are “hooked” on drugs, simply because we take them regularly trying for some type of relief. If you don’t live in this painful state it is easy to proclaim that the drugs are not needed on a regular basis, simply because they have not walked in the shoes of chronic pain.

February 1, 2013 at 1:56 pm
(50) marilyn says:

the government & ins. companies need to let your dr. be the dr. & meet their patients needs. They took away Darvocet because there’s a chance that 8 elderly patients died of heart attacks and they were on Darvocet.. Darvocet made my life liveable, so had to change to another–tramadol. It doesn’t touch the pain. I have genetic chronic inflammatory disease, so every day is a new experience in pain. So now they are messing with Vicodin-I have used it & it helps. My dose hasn’t been increased. Doesn’t really matter what they do about the drugs, the “users” will get the drugs, so let’s punish the people that are legit!

February 2, 2013 at 4:23 pm
(51) james says:

I use the va for my meds, and doctors are already shying away.I cannot get a script filled with out an arguement.I take them the way they are subscribed,and they make life bearable.is the fda wanting to help the dope pushers by making them unavaible,and therefore more valuable as a street drug? Lord please come down on these people!James

February 10, 2013 at 8:57 am
(52) Michael says:

It is my firm belief that this whole epidemic idea is a bit of hoax in and of itself. Folks, there is no epidemic. There are more people that die in car crashes per year. The underlying cause for the “abusers” of these medications is depression. These people are self medicating to try and relieve some emotional pain. That is where the abuse comes in. I had to take this medication for about a year and I was able to stop taking them with relative ease after that year. I don’t have any depression or psychological issues, and live a happy life now, since recovering from my injury. Responsible users who have legitimate pain need these drugs, and use them responsibly. It really irritates me how people group chronic pain sufferers in with abusers of these drugs, and stigmatize people who are in genuine pain as some sort of junkie.

Moving these drugs from schedule III to schedule II to try and curb abuse is one of the stupidest ideas I’ve ever heard, quite frankly. The abusers need to get in a treatment program and treat their depression and emotional problems. Even if they move the scheduling, the person will always find a way to self medicate with something. If it isn’t Hydrocodone, then it will be X drug….if it isn’t X drug, it will be another one…and so on, and so on. You could ban or make all these drugs harder and harder to get, but you aren’t curbing anyone from self medicating. They will always find a way. They will move on to illegal drugs, such as heroine. Or eventually, if all else fails, they will just settle for good old fashioned liquor. And as we all know, LIQUOR….THE MOST DEADLIEST AND INTOXICATING DRUG KNOWN TO MAN will never be outlawed because these very same hypocrites who try to ban and make prescription drugs harder to get, I’m sure love a good cocktail.

February 10, 2013 at 8:58 am
(53) Michael says:

Continued…

These political leaders (Senator Joe Manchin, and Senator Charles Schumer) who are leading these prescription drug reforms are not medical experts, they aren’t chronic pain sufferers, they know nothing of what they speak. Their plan is ignorant, short sighted, and very unintelligent., and it will blow up in their face. I truly feel sorry for people that have lost a loved one to abusing this drug, but this would’ve happened whether these drugs were class III or class II. I’m sorry, but that is the truth. If their loved one wasn’t abusing Hydrocodone, they would’ve been abusing something else.

The only reason Hydrocodone get so much attention is because of the name Vicodin, which was (and continues to be) highly marketed and publicized throughout the media. It has name recognition. There is a myriad, and I mean a huge myriad, of other similar drugs that do almost the exact same thing out there. People hear the name Vicodin, it kinda sounds cool, rappers rap about it, the media markets and talks about it, and that’s why there is so much attention brought to this drug.

February 10, 2013 at 9:00 am
(54) Michael says:

Continued…

If used responsibly and monitored by a doctor and pharmacy, these drugs are life savers for millions of people. The problem is that the monitoring is very poor. The reforms should be on the monitoring side. If you see a doctor start prescribing someone 8-10 pills be a huge increase in suicides from chronic pain sufferers. Also, some people don’t live around the corner from their doctor. There are people that have to

travel 2, or 3 hours to the doctor. It is ridiculous to make them do this every month. Many people don’t have insurance, and if they have to go to the doctor every month, they will pay at least $100 out of pocket for a useless visit,.

I’m sorry but there are better ways to monitor this and that’s where the focus should be, not restriction. Horrible idea, horrible plan. It will fail, just like every other government drug restriction idea. The only people you are punishing are good people that are in chronic pain, who use these drugs responsibly.

I will be writing to Senator Manchin and Senator Schumer about this issue, and I encourage everyone else to do the same. I hope they realize what they are doing because when election time rolls around, they will probably wish they had given this issue some more thought.

March 13, 2013 at 1:45 pm
(55) FL Girl says:

You are correct, the article is WRONG. FEDERAL law states the Schedule II drugs can only be prescribed monthly (MAX 30 day supply on one script). The article is wrong, she may have misinterpretted the law. The doctor may issue a total of 90 days worth of schedule 2 meds but it must be on separate scripts. So he can write 3, 30 day scripts; 9, 10 day scripts at once (for a total of 90 days) BUT doctors CANNOT (by federal law) write for more than a 30 day supply of C2′s on ONE script

March 22, 2013 at 1:56 am
(56) Zeebo says:

Changing Norco to schedule II would be ridiculous and harmful. Those who want to abuse in order to escape life will continue, illegally. Those who need these medications to become part of life again will be the ones who suffer.

March 31, 2013 at 4:13 pm
(57) LYLA says:

It is easy to get off pain killers the government is harassing us on. If you smoke weed, drink red wine and take aspirins every night before bed that goes a long way to ease the pain. Also, if you can get access to some form of muscle relaxants pills. Because all these items act as depressants, you will need to have on hand some green tea pills. Along with this have at least two visits a week to a competent chiropractor and at least two massages. STAY AWAY FROM ALL REPETITIVE TASKS. Do not sit and read in one position for long hours. Try to do 30 minutes walking every day and night. Then you will not need any painkillers.Also, phamaceutical grade Herion is actually cheaper than Vicodin. Do not be conned by your doctor into taking Celebrex, Vicodin, or Humira like Big Pharma wants. Too many severe side effects.

April 3, 2013 at 12:50 pm
(58) Laycie says:

Rediculas! I am so tired of the goverment telling us what to do and how to live. My father has severe nerve damage from diabities and is losing his toes.. Norcos help him through his day., I dont care if he becomes addicted hes old and hes just trying to remain comfortable. Mind your own buisness FEDS!

April 19, 2013 at 11:32 pm
(59) Lori says:

I do see their point since I have a aunt that has begged barrowed and stole to get pain killers of any kind since she has abused them for years and her nurse wife now steals them from the nursing home for her since I believe they are both addicted to anything. but also I do not understand this bill. I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis & a form of lupus and I do need vicodin at times. I am not addicted and I will not overdose since I only take as prescribed or less than prescribed. some days I can not function without pain meds so what am I to do & people like me to do?

May 2, 2013 at 5:49 pm
(60) Thom says:

I just got caught in the middle in Maryland. I had hip surgery on Tuesday and tried to fill the Oxycodone prescription for 50 tablets and not a single pharmacy in Frederick Maryland had it or could get it. This is outrageous!

I already use Vicadin to manage pain on a day to day basis so I can work and am afraid that I will be denied access and ultimately have to go on social security disability.

May 16, 2013 at 6:30 pm
(61) roland rome says:

I have fractured lumbar vertibrae with cages have been prescribed narcotics for fourty years. Icannot stand up long enough too brush my teeth without them i have an inoperable motphine pump in my stomach with a tap in my spinal columb and i still have problems getting the medacine i require. I just read in the aarp bulletin hospitals and doctors kill 180000 people per year i would like to know how that compares to drug overdoses and why nothing is being done about that but poor people like me have to lay curled up in fetal position but with proper meds that Godput here can do some productive things or even enjoy time with my 7 year old granddaughter instead of wanting to chop off my legs or jump off the green bridge if there is a docter willing to help please contact roland a rome jr thank you 504 784 0851

May 21, 2013 at 3:59 am
(62) Julie says:

I just watched an hour and half video on the DEA website, which was attended by pharmacists and doctors. It was mostly geared towards high school kids being addicted to Oxycontin and Percocet. It also targeted the pain clinics in Florida that are a huge part of the problem. People drive there from the surrounding states to get scripts for Oxycontin and Oxycodone. The DEA said that Florida was prescribing 85% of schedule II painkillers for the entire United States. So the other 49 states were only prescribing the other 15% !
The other issue is online pharmacies that don’t require a prescription. They pay retired doctors $10-$20 a prescription to provide schedule II drugs prescriptions to people they have never seen. The DEA claims that doctors were making high six figure incomes from this scam.

May 21, 2013 at 4:00 am
(63) Julie says:

continued..
Because of sketchy practices by the pain clinics, and online pharmacies, as well as teenagers having access to the drugs, the rest of us honest people are really in pain have to suffer. I have been taking narcotic pain relievers since 1996 for back and neck injuries, as well as insanely painful headaches due to TMJ/TMD issues. I take 1/2 a pill three times a day of the weakest form of Oxycodone/Percocet. I can’t even take a whole pill at once because it is too strong for me. That is NOT Oxycontin for those of you who are not familiar with pain killers. That is nowhere near the maximum dose of 12 pills per day.
I am treated like a drug seeking criminal when I go to get my 90 day prescription refilled. Today the Costco pharmacist gave me a stern warning, as well as a warning to my doctor. My scripts costs $17.80 at Costco, which is why they are my first choice. Walmart is $40+ and Target is $60.19.
I agree with the rest of the comments that it only makes things harder for the patients, and for the doctors and pharmacists who will have a lot of paper work. Also in California they are forcing the doctors to buy new prescription pads as of July 2012, even if the doctors still have a large quantity left of pads that are left over that are almost exactly the same prior to July 2012.

Honest people in pain have to suffer for the drug addicts who use pain killers to get high :-(

May 21, 2013 at 5:56 am
(64) Donns says:

I have dealt with pain mgmt since the mid-90s. degenerative disc disorder; triple laminectomy with fusion C4-C7. I am and will always try new methods. Only problem is cost. I believe hydrocodone should be more closely regulated but think doing so is an injustice to those who need help and can’t always afford other methods. Lidocaine patches work great for me but my insurance doesn’t cover them and they are expensive. It seems like the less abusive medications that help are best but you can’t afford them even if you have a well paying job. I spent $280 on month on dr visit, medication, and trigger point injections and that was with decent insurance. Now that i am not working, i am taking too much tylenol, ibuprofen, and aleve. worried about my liver and kidneys.

My point: What else can we do to prevent abusers and drug dealers from obtaining such meds that are affordable to patients who “can’t wash their hair” without affordable, safe, pain relief? Once again, I prefer not taking hydrocodone. I prefer other methods of pain relief and even research new methods such as cryotherapy and botox as alternatives.

IF THE LAWS ARE STRICTER, PRICES OF OTHER PAIN RELIEF NEED TO BE REDUCED. I also advise patients who receive such medications get a small safe and keep them under lock and DO NOT EVER give “a pill” to anyone even if you know they have a valid reason. When I returned to work after my first surgery, you would not believe how many coworkers asked me for “a pill” for headaches and whatever. They assumed I had pain medication. I lied and said I didn’t have any prescribed pain medication.

June 19, 2013 at 2:24 am
(65) Jan says:

I live in Texas, and am a polycystic kidney patient that has chronic pain due to two football sized kidneys, cyst covered liver, etc. I Have been taking 1/2 daily of a 5/500 generic hydrocodone for several years just to take the edge off for part of the day. I do not take a full dose due to the toxicity of the acetaminophen. Already had a kidney transplant to keep me living. After several years of getting my hydrocodone filled by my kind nephrologist, his wacked out nurse leaves my husband a message to tell me “why am I using so much pain meds” and tells my husband to tell me to go see a pain dr! I take 1/2 a pill a day! Wth. I am so pissed that my dr. of six years ( he was my dialysis dr. too ) would behave like this, cutting me off with just a rude call. Are the DEA rules so bad it would cause my kind dr. To behave like an A$$? I NEED MY PAIN MEDICATION DARN IT!

July 2, 2013 at 3:22 pm
(66) Al Jamison says:

They have already taken out the extra ingredient in the Watson Hydrocodone and put some sort of additive in it, just like the additive stuff they put in darvocet’s to make people feel worse so they wouldn’t take them till they were taken off the market from lack of use. A year ago or so they were thinking of taking hydros off the market but decided to pollute them instead, to sneak one over on us, but people that really hurt can tell what’s going on. I suffer tremendously and I have been for the last twenty years, the governments drug wars are ridiculous . Why must I suffer? This is beyond me. There are so many illegal drugs now and they can’t control them why would they take our pain meds off the market or ruin them unless the government is selling illegal drugs themselves and would rather people go buy the drugs there selling which is probably what the government uses to keep from going bankrupt but I digress. It’s just the way I see it.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2013/01/31/fda-action-on-vicodin-may-mean-more-pain-not-less-addiction-or-overdose/#ixzz2XuxcbEKg

August 21, 2013 at 7:03 am
(67) Bullsock OBomba the Puppet says:

War on Drugs…. War on Terror… ” I saw Terror the other day…. a person who went to her normal pharmacy to receive her normal 2 times a day 15mg Oxycodone…. only to be told by her 8 year Veteran Pharmacist that the DEA has cut his ability to supply the product by 30 percent and she will have to wait 6 days before he can reorder. Now that doesnt seem like a very big deal until you consider Ms. Johnson has chronic pain from cancer of the Lungs. She’s not even scared of the pain from the cancer … she is terrified of the 6 day withdrawal effects that will continue until she receives her medication. Withdrawal so bad that she says to understand how bad it is, think of the worst flu you have ever experienced multiply by 10 and you have Opiate withdrawal….. Now that’s real terror. All of this because a few Non Informed or Depressed innocent people who are so physically addicted usually because of illness or injury and the are not Mentally of Psychologically addicted to a product that is filled with the most potent addictive additives known to man since cigarettes and alcohol. This problem is about the perfect love triangle….. Physical addictive trap…. Law Enforcement Controlling both sides of the trade… bringing it to the streets and trying to control getting you in the Private Jails and Prison system to the tune of Billions annually ….. and big Pharma making profits that make Oil companies jealous. People for every one person you hear Overdosed on so called prescription drugs…… there of tens of thousands arrested for trying to legally lower pain. If Opiates were sold like Acetaminophen it would not destroy so many lives. The common factor that destroys the life of the common Opiate Addicted patient is Chasing the product and trying to find it,,,,, Not using it responsibly. DEA. “Drug Enhancement Act” More to control More tax payer dollars to spend. Before long the US Government will make it illegal to Eat, Talk, and take a Crap.

September 3, 2013 at 9:24 pm
(68) Paul says:

I manage Pain from MS with various types of opiates. Over the course of 10 years i have not increased my dose and manage my pain. You cannot expect to have pain go completely away, and that is the mistake people make. I am also the type thatbgets very sick from these meds, but they work. I curse these junkies that ruin it for legitimate patients.

September 7, 2013 at 4:55 pm
(69) krktoday says:

I have a feeding tube that is wearing a hole in my stomach. Very painful. I have been waiting for liquid hydrocodone for it in Florida for more than a month because it is on back order. Pharmacies are afraid to stock it. Doctors are afraid to prescribe it. I personally know two doctors who retired because it has gotten to the point down here they have to answer to the government for every prescription they write and it isn’t worth it. They can’t even be doctors anymore

September 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm
(70) Scott says:

Hey I was on pain meds for over 18 years. I really was never hard for me to get all the pain meds I wanted. I was put on chronic pain pill use after a bad car accident. Pain meds stop working after years and years of being on them. After about ten years I was allowed to take more than 25 pain pills a day. These had no acetaminophen in them. There is no way that I should have been allowed to be able to take more than 25 pain pills a day for chronic pain. These pain pills ruined my like. I would rather live in pain 24/7 than be a slave to pain pills.

September 21, 2013 at 10:32 pm
(71) Cathy says:

No Wonder Hydrocodone/APAP is on longterm Back order….My pharmacy faxes my doctor who responds by phone to refill my prescription. Maybe drug addicts should go back to taking Robitussin and leave the real pain meds to people who truly need it. What a sad situation for those in need.

September 22, 2013 at 10:15 am
(72) Chris says:

I hate taking my pain medication, but if I don’t I will spend 3-4 days a week laid up and unproductive while my muscles will begin to atrophy and the fight against my arthritis locks me down. I have other people that depend on me too so I need to be productive during the week on my farm. I was run over by a truck in ’91 both shoulders and my chest were crushed when a 3/4 pickup front wheel ran over my chest and dragged my 75 yards down the pavement and so for pain I tried everything working with my doctors to finely zero in on a routine. I broke my neck C2/C3, crushed my lower back L3/4&5 and my shoulders have had handfuls of marble sized bone fragments removed and multiple surgeries grinding scraping and moving my tendons to differing places to keep the tendons from rubbing past the notches across my rotator cups and the ends of my arm bones where they are chipped and calcified. If I do not remain active my body will loose muscle tone and range of motion and it will be all down hill from where I have worked hard every day to attain a decent physical level of function. My doctor has discussed this issue with me at length and expresses the dilemma apologetically facing all patients in need of proper pain management. These guys want to limit my doctors ability to practice medicine, while state and federal regulators seem to me to want to practice medicine without a license.

November 8, 2013 at 10:55 pm
(73) Sharon says:

please sign my petition to keep Hydrocodone a schedule III medication.

January 5, 2014 at 1:03 am
(74) oldbiker1 says:

I’m 74 and have a chronic pain problem — it’s not a major problem, but pain is pain and I don’t like it. This government has steadily gone downhill since Kennedy was killed. And, the current administration (since 2009) has not helped matters. The feds want to control every aspect of our lives. I can make good decisions without government help — they can’t run this country very well — how are they qualified to make decisions for me? They’re not.

I need hydrocodone for arthritis and some other ailments. Recently they have weakened the product and are charging more — less efficiency and more expense. Thank goodness I’m about an hour drive from Mexico, so that’s where I’ll have to go now to get the meds I need. In fact, I might just move there. There’s no point to staying here any longer — the USA I grew up in has disappeared. This country was once GREAT — no longer.

January 11, 2014 at 11:29 pm
(75) christy says:

Its a sad country we live in when people truly in pain cant get there meds filled, because the dea has given pharmacist the chore of deciding who should get there meds and who shouldn’t. Why because the DEA is too lazy to get out and do there jobs and control the pain clinics. This starts at the prescribing office NOT at the pharmacy. So the DEA has laid the job on your local pharmacist to determine if you deserve your pain meds, WITHOUT RECORDS, so now your pharmacist is your MD. How is this legal, its not and someone has got to put it to a stop.This is not something most of the pharmacist wanted to be involved in, they are making them lie because of the restrictons the DEA has layed upon them, therefore threatening their license to dispense. Now the next problem that this oxycodone cut back has caused, there are people that cant get their meds that are going to hospitals, people that would have never turned to the streets are going out to look for their meds sad, there turning honest people into criminals. pharmacies are scared its going to start robberies. So the only thing the DEA has accomplished is more crime and dept.

February 5, 2014 at 1:16 am
(76) Adam says:

Those that are abusing opiates tend to be buying them off of the street. Doctors are pretty good at discerning drug seekers, and yes there are crooked docs that will give out meds to anyone who’s paying but maybe they need to keep a closer eye on the doctors, and even more importantly the crooked pharmacists that are running pill mills all over the country they are the real problem! Now genuine pain patients have to suffer because of an ignorant and failing FDA and their stupid “war on drugs”. It’s all about the Almighty Dollar!

February 12, 2014 at 6:46 pm
(77) Brian says:

Why is it that the FDA can not see beyond their own noses. They haven’t limited abusers of pain pills, but actually made things worse. Now, since most pain pill addicts find it too expensive to buy pills on the streets, they buy heroin instead. Heroin is much cheaper, and in most cases more potent. So the FDA has actually fueled heroin use, thereby increasing Mexican drug cartel coffers. Thanks FDA…job well done!!!

February 23, 2014 at 7:18 pm
(78) James Vaught says:

I have severe arthritis pain in my hips and my doctor only wants to prescribe Celebrex which doesn’t do anything for the pain!!

February 27, 2014 at 3:26 pm
(79) Real says:

The government the DEA and senators like Joe Munchin should just stay the hell out of our lives. Anyone can go get as much alcohol as they can get if they have the money, and heroine is cheep. Way to go DEA.

Make vicodin OTC and make all the other a script….wake and grow up America!

April 24, 2014 at 12:58 pm
(80) Big C says:

All this nonsense their doing behind painkillers and the people who really need it like me cause i have Lupus have a hard time getting the meds. Where im from Houston Texas your only suppose to go at least 28days later when everybodies pain level is different

May 4, 2014 at 10:32 am
(81) veronica says:

can we please use some common sense. It’s not the patients, and most Doctors are on the up and up. Stop blaming the innocent. It’s the DRUG ADDICTS, the corrupt and greedy WHO ARE THE PROBLEM!!!

. Why not keep track of the addicts, anyone who’s been in rehab, or been flagged for abuse. They are the problem. they can go to rehab, come out and go door to door from Doctors to Hospitals and get more drugs. With everything on computers these days it would be easy, to have a record of Drug abuse within the system. Something so simple, would solve this problem. Instead of burdening our Physicians, and putting the disabled and pain ridden patients through even more. Isn’t life hard enough, for them. Do they have to pay for the crimes of other’s. Hello, why should the innocent be held accountable for the guilty! War on drugs, really when any addict can go anywhere and get there fix, when we could have these people flagged and stop the abuse. what’s wrong with this world, when we are willing to persecute the ones we should be protecting