1. Health

Carol Eustice

Does Tommie Copper Relieve Arthritis Pain?

By December 30, 2012

You likely have seen or heard of people wearing copper bracelets to relieve arthritis pain. The problem is there are no studies to show that it works. That may be why it was popular in the 1970s, but not so much now. Copper bracelets are right up there with gin-soaked raisins, WD-40, and other folk remedies for arthritis.

So, what should we think of a product line called "Tommie Copper" that has received rave reviews from popular talk-show host and MS patient, Montel Williams? Tommie Copper is an apparel line made from material that is infused with copper and that provides gentle compression. Tommie Copper apparel allows you to position the copper directly over the source of pain or injury. The combination of compression and copper work to relieve inflammation. How was Tommie Copper developed? Does it work? Learn more in What Is Tommie Copper?

Related Articles:

Facebook | Twitter | Message Board | Newsletter

Photo Tommie Copper

Comments
February 17, 2013 at 11:25 pm
(1) Roland says:

I have had a problem with my right hand since October last year. When I wake up my fingers won’t move until several attempts. When they do move they usually snap open. I understand they call this trigger finger. I first tried wrapping my hand with an ace bandage and slept with it on. It didn’t do anything but I did feel worse. I also tried sleeping with my driving glove on and had the same results. I tried some well known pills for swollen joint relief. They seemed to work but I don’t want to depend on pills. I saw the infomercial for Tommie Copper. I hate infomercials and Montel Williams seems to be involved in a few things so I ignored it. The next day I was so upset with my pain that I thought I would look on the internet to see what real people say (not working for Tommie Copper). I found a few forums and it seemed that those that tried Tommie Copper has good results. I bout the gloves for about $35 and I noticed a difference the first day, It has been about a week now and I sleep with the on. I take them off when I wake up and I am good the whole day. If I wake up in the middle of the night I always check my fingers and they work fine with no pain. I am sold.

March 22, 2013 at 12:34 pm
(2) linda says:

i have problem with my hands going num pain in thumb i cant pick anything up or even write a letter or type . it hurts just to type this to u. its across my shoulder down the arms . doctor said there nothing wrong xray show nothing. what can do to help the pain

April 2, 2013 at 3:33 pm
(3) Jeanette says:

I used the Tommie Copper gloves for arthritis at the base of my thumb. I didn’t notice any change in pain, so I returned them.

April 19, 2013 at 10:53 pm
(4) mark says:

At first i was sceptical about Tommie copper. I have arthritis in my right knee. After wearing it a couple days, i won’t live without it. The best thing i ever bought online.

July 21, 2013 at 4:11 pm
(5) V says:

I visited this article in the hope of discovering information about the “Tommie Copper” product and found this article to be a disappointment.

Although, I appreciate the headline of the article, “Does Tommie Copper Relieve Arthritis Pain?”, the author does not provide any information and/or conclusive research into the subject other than a frivolous description of the product.

Unfortunately, this article is not at all helpful.

July 24, 2013 at 4:37 am
(6) Pixyshimmer says:

I agree completely with “v” comment that the write never said if it worked or not so whats the real point Of this article? I did some of my own research & it would appear that there are more negative reviews from users of this product than positive. So I will keep looking.

August 1, 2013 at 10:55 am
(7) J taft says:

Article has little to no value.

August 1, 2013 at 11:30 am
(8) Carol says:

The article was entitled What Is Tommie Copper and explains what it is. There are no conclusions about whether it works because, as with any treatment or physical support or assistive device, what works for one may not work for another.

August 9, 2013 at 1:31 pm
(9) Angie says:

I seen the tommie copper ads on tv & the internet & yes i was very sceptical as well. I have had 5 knee surgeries on my right knee, my orthopedic told me 6 yrs ago i needed a parcel knee replacement. Im only 39 now & i told him no way…….I work @ a truck manufacturing plant & have had 2 previous knee injuries in the past yr 1/2 were i have fallen (tripping over objects in the floor that wasn’t suppose to be there) & i fell on both knees onto concrete. I have swelling & pain in both knees, pain that can be almost unbearable in right knee from arthritis, bone spurs, & scar tissue. I do go to acupunture on a regular basis & it helps but i can’t go daily. THESES TOMMIE COPPER KNEE COMPRESSION SLEEVES REALLY WORK!! i ordered 2 rh & lh & i wear them all the time. I have my full mobility back & haven’t had it back in over 10 yrs. They keep the swelling, inflammation, & i have no pain in my knees when i wear them. I absolutely love these! I thought about ordering a backup pair.

August 27, 2013 at 7:46 pm
(10) Jim purdy says:

I purchased the tc knee sleeve it did not offer any compression or reduce pain or swelling it is a complete ripoff save your money.

September 18, 2013 at 7:19 pm
(11) DB says:

i suffer from severe leg pain, especially at night. meds alone were NOT helping. i thought i would give tommie cooper a try. i bought the compression pants. i LOVE them. i do not sleep with out them, and will be ordering another pair and and a compression shirt. they have helped reduce the pain so much that i have been able to reduce the amount of medication i was taking. may not work for everyone, but REALLY worked for me!!!!!

October 9, 2013 at 1:45 pm
(12) GINNY says:

I BOUGHT THE KNEE TOMMIE COPPER, PLEASE FOLKS DON’T
WASTE YOUR MONEY. I ALWAYS LIKED M. WILLIAMS AND BELIEVED
HE WOULD NOT USE HIS REPUTATION TO SELL ITEMS TO THE
PUBLIC THAT DIDN’T DO WHAT IT SAID; BUT SORRY TO
SAY THIS TOMMIE COPPER IS A WASTE OF MONEY.
YOU’RE BETTER OFF AND CHEAPER USING ICY HOT OR PAIN PATCHES ETC

October 20, 2013 at 10:31 pm
(13) nick says:

It must be different for some people but i have the TC knee brace and it starting pain relief as soon as i put it on, its great i will now buy a shirt and shorts

October 30, 2013 at 10:52 am
(14) Jennifer says:

My husband and I both swear by Tommie Copper!!! I have the gloves and he has elbow and knee sleeves. The relief is pretty much immediate and there is a cooling sensation when you put them on. I know for a fact that there is copper in them as my husband had to take his off in the airport. Definitely worth the money!! I am wearing my gloves as I type this!!

November 10, 2013 at 9:30 pm
(15) BLINGBLING says:

What a total wast of space. This article said absolutely NOTHING!

November 11, 2013 at 12:20 pm
(16) Mary says:

Probably just a marketing trick to get us interested in this Tommy Copper item.

November 13, 2013 at 8:47 am
(17) Debra Rincon Lopez says:

I just don’t understand? Just because It didn’t work for some people, VERY FEW from what I have read so far? Why would they stand in the way for others to try it, NOT all things can work for all people! I still stand by Montel Williams Word on product, I doubt if he would ever MISLEAD the Public Intenionally! A HOPEFUL Patient in Portland OREGON USA.

November 25, 2013 at 11:56 am
(18) Marie says:

I have to agree with Debra – I use compression therapy regularly and it does wonders! Disabled for 20 plus years and have a family to care for ! Anything that helps is a plus and greatly appreciated! You know what– if it costs a bit more it usually works! And compression therapy does, for pain and severe inflammation:) I SAY – TRY IT FOR YOURSELF 😀

December 1, 2013 at 3:20 am
(19) Moose says:

Just my casual observations from this and other sites…

In regards to the people who claim that the knee sleeves offer no compression benefit: from a compression science standpoint these comments actually make no sense whatsoever. Even an ace bandage provides some compression support. I would question whether you bought the correct size. If it is too big then you won’t get any compression benefit. Bottom line is that a properly sized TC knee sleeve, worst case, would still provide some compression benefit…comparable to say a $15 drug store brand…and at best case the remarkable claims made during the infommercial and some of the posts I have read.

I also read reviews, not necessarily on this site, with people complaining that they ordered them on say…10/1 and it was 10/14 and they still had not received the product. The shipping states 5 -10 business days to ship (which by the way is up to two full weeks…weekends do not count). That being said…it could take up to 3 full weeks, depending on where you are located, to get your product from the day you ordered it. Just sayin…

I do not own the product yet but I have ordered 2 sleeves and will post back here after I receive the them and get a chance to evaluate.

December 6, 2013 at 12:14 am
(20) susie Q says:

I wanted to comment about the speedy delivery even during holiday shipping. I received my order in 2 days. I have severe RA mosty affecting hands and feet so hoping for releif will post again

December 10, 2013 at 12:37 pm
(21) Ej says:

I put me husbands Tommy Cooper wrist band on. Ha ha never thought it would work because nothing does really. Every joint in my body hurts during Rainey, cloudy, cold days or shopping. It’s been 4 days of wearing the wrist band. I still hurt but I can move more. Does it work? I say it’s helped and for that reason I will continue to wear it.

January 22, 2014 at 8:11 am
(22) John says:

I do believe compression helps.. whether the tommie copper products work I cannot comment.. other than they are expensive so I thought I would try a product called copper / wear. Basically same thing for half the cost and I am only looking for compression and tired of winding the ace bandage.. which also helps. All you can do is try for yourself and see if it helps. No one pain is alike for anyone in my humble opinion. Look for the return policy on anything you buy and decide for yourself on the product. All we can do is keep on moving and share what works for us. Which never means it would work for all. Good luck and here’s to a pain free day!

February 3, 2014 at 7:01 pm
(23) Dave says:

Tore my meniscus tendon. Doctor suggested letting it heal rather then having orthoscopic repair. Pain was horrific but slowly subsided to a bearable level. Then I twisted it and the pain returned. So bad it kept me awake at night day after day. Tried an Ace knee compression sleeve and it seemed to help but was bulky and I had to keep pulling it up into place. In desperation I shelled out the money for a TC knee compression sleeve and got almost immediate relief from the pain. Knee seems to be healing up and I endorse the product. May not be a “magic bullet” but for me it was definitely worth the investment.

February 8, 2014 at 10:10 pm
(24) Knilja says:

There’s NO copper in these products
They’re too loose
Not enough compression
Snag easily
Shorts too loose waistband too tight
Gloves too loose
Isotiner gloves and spanx work better
Disappointed once again

February 10, 2014 at 4:18 pm
(25) Linda says:

I love tommy cooper. I wear the fingerless gloves every day all day long. I have three pairs plus shorts pants and shirts. I have systemic sclerosis with a lot of joint pain which tend to pop out of joint a lot. The gloves keep me from hurting myself and makes it easier to work. I swear by this product and do not understand why anyone would ever say it doesn’t work perhaps they don’t know what real pain is feelin better in pittsburgh

February 21, 2014 at 3:19 pm
(26) Denise says:

I have RH and I type for a living. I bought the fingerless gloves from Tommie Copper and have much less pain than I did. I wear them every day. I then bought the knee sleeve for my father who had knee surgery. He said it worked great! just bought a knock off brand of an ankle sleeve and will return it to get the real thing. TC is well worth the money.

March 7, 2014 at 3:22 am
(27) FreeCanadianGuy says:

The author is merely posing a question.
The purpose of posing questions on Internet forums, is to initiate a discussion relative to the question.
The problem is that there are no clinical studies to scrutinize, so they are looking for anicdotal evidence as to the product’s efficacy, given the lack of empirical evidence.
Sometimes a question is just that, a question. Some people can’t seem to help themselves in terms of being overtly and gratuitously negative.

March 10, 2014 at 11:34 am
(28) Gay says:

The standard treatment for many injuries and arthritis is RICE – rest, ice, compressiion, elevation. Tommie Coper knee sleeves provides the “compression” part of that and it does work for me. Probably different for different people. Whether or not the copper is helping, I cannot say, but the lightweight compression has helped a lot. Not bulky like some knee braces.

March 26, 2014 at 12:02 am
(29) paulette k says:

I am very glad I tried the short, and knee brace I put them on immediately after receiving them and I could tell within 12 hours the product does work

April 7, 2014 at 1:38 am
(30) Frank says:

How do I order?

April 8, 2014 at 8:12 pm
(31) Linda carol says:

I ordered the TC knee sleeve but sorry to say it was a waste of money. I had knee replacement which resulted in stiff knee syndrome and arthrofibrosis and the sleeve is tight even though I bought both large and XL. The swelling in my knee is not at all helped by wearing the sleeve and it does not even stay in place. Perhaps for people with MILD
knee pain might find it useful but for me it was useless.

April 13, 2014 at 1:15 pm
(32) Alfy R.E. Meyer says:

I have extremely painful arthritis in both my feet: the large toe knuckle. I would wake up at night in severe pain and have to walk around due to ‘hammer toe syndrome’ and cramping of either or both feet. I will need both toes replaced eventually as well as my left knee.
One day I saw Montel Williams promoting Tommie Copper wear. Testimonials mean nothing to me. I prefer a scientific approach but as there were no double blind studies done on this product and I’ve always believed the ‘copper’ benefits were merely ‘snake oil’ remedies I figured I’ll buy the compression socks on a promotional discount and make my unscientific assessment after wearing them for a few months.
It’s been over four months and I haven’t had one recurrence of a ‘hammer toe’ incident at night or foot cramping throughout the day. I don’t wear them at night when I sleep, just during the day. I drive transport across country and not having cramps while driving is a great relief. Yes I still suffer the pain associated with the arthritis but the spasm have all but disappeared, thank God and Tommie Copper.

April 22, 2014 at 2:09 pm
(33) Barbara says:

I have arthritis in my left knee. I have tried every pain reliever, supplement… nothing helped. I saw the Tommie Copper ad on TV. I wasn’t going to buy it, but I decided to try one more thing. From the moment I put it on, the swelling went down! I now wear it day and night. I can’t imagine going through the day without the knee sleeve.

May 6, 2014 at 5:58 pm
(34) CALGARY GUY says:

I do not have arthritis, but my brother had neck surgery 2 years ago. Bought tc compression shirt and has stopped using his medication. I only bought this to shut him up. I blew my knee out about 10 years ago skiing tried many braces. I also have torn my rotator cuff in a mountain biking accident. I put the shirt on and my knee brace on my left knee. I couldn’t believe how quickly it work for me and I though this was complete BS. I will however tell you that if it works for you, when you take off the garment about 36 hours the pain comes back. I don’t have a limp anymore. I am looking forward to working out again and resuming a life that is closer to the one I had.

May 10, 2014 at 10:44 pm
(35) Lam says:

I bought the Tc knee sleeve three weeks ago and at first I was skeptical because I was used to compression knee sleeves to be tight fitting, so I though maybe I got the wrong size. My son kept telling me to try it again because his worked fine (he had knee surgery last year), so I tried it again when I went to jazzercise and I’ve worn it every since. I have a knee injury from military service and it became hard for me to perform a lot of the exercises because of the severe knee pain, and not being able to rotate knee in certain positions. Ive had this sleeve for three weeks and I have no more knee pain. The technology that was used to create this product is good because I thought I would not be able to workout anymore. Im glad I gave it a chance because my life has changed tremendously. I will be a continued customer!

May 12, 2014 at 10:54 am
(36) Tony says:

I’m not totally sure how this all works, but I’m very thankful that it does. I purchased 2 knee compressions sleeves about 8 weeks ago because the pain in my knees were getting worse. Especially in my left knee (2 scopes in 4 years). I was waking up in severe pain every night around 1-2am. I no longer wake up in pain, and as I said I can’t explain it but I’m very very thankful and it’s all because of the tommie copper sleeves. I wear them everyday, all day. My knees bone on bone, with arthritis, so anything that will help without taking more meds I was willing to try. So glad I did. Now I’m not saying it’s cured me because due to my condition it hasn’t and cannot. But pain management at this time in my life is also very important and that I can say it does extremely well. I recommend anyone try it for themselves, and if it doesn’t work for you, no harm no foul. But if it does, you will be happy to be able to do things again without the pain or popping pills. Good luck to you.