1. Health

Carol Eustice

Sacroiliac Joint Pain - What Arthritis Patients Need to Know

By January 17, 2010

Have you ever had low back pain and not been able to figure out exactly what was causing the pain? Sacroiliac joint pain, also referred to as SI joint pain or SI joint dysfunction, is among the common causes of low back pain. Typically, sacroiliac joint pain is very annoying and intrusive but it can most often be treated without drastic measures.

The sacroiliac joint is a synovial joint -- so it can be affected by arthritic conditions that result in cartilage damage or joint inflammation. Learn more about causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment in Sacroiliac Joint Pain - What You Need to Know.

Related Resources:

Join the Discussion:

Photo by Pali Rao (iStockphoto)

Comments
January 18, 2010 at 10:48 pm
(1) Rick Olderman says:

SI Joint pain is a problem unto itself. Although the causes of SI joint pain are often identical to those that cause back pain.
In my experience, SI joint pain is caused by a rotated pelvis. One side of the pelvis is being pulled forward more than the other side. There are up to three strong pelvic muscles that are responsible for this. As I said, this is also one of the roots of most back pain.
It is very easy to fix this and back pain although this is not the purpose of this article.

January 20, 2010 at 2:42 pm
(2) Orlenda says:

I have Rheumatoid arthritis, and my SI joints have acted up in the past-for me, cortico steroid injections were very helpful. It a pretty simple joint to inject-much less painful than say a knee, jaw, or finger (i have had all those and more injected as well). The results of steroid injections in my joints usually last years for me. You should never have a joint injected with steroids more than 3 times in a years time though. For me-it has never come close to that! Just a sugestion for anyone plagued with pain and who doesnt want to ruin their stomach with NSAID’s.

January 30, 2010 at 4:53 pm
(3) Gravity Gardener says:

One potential option that can provide relief therapy is the use of an inversion table.

February 7, 2010 at 9:30 am
(4) Joint pain says:

Itís good to show concern of these days and then present the product. However, you donít describe much about product.. for clinical data such that how people who use them feel about them.

February 7, 2010 at 9:32 am
(5) Joint pain says:

Body is only trying to tell you that something might be wrong. The clicking of the knee is accompanied by pain which you canít ignore, then there might be some underlying problem. You need to try and identify the root of the problem

December 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm
(6) StevieN235 says:

I have had chronic back pain due to a herniated disk and degenerative disk disease for about 15 years now. I also have had shoulder pain for about two years due to an injury. My pain is always there, most of the time ignorable, some of the time intolerable. During the intolerable times, I take narcotics: pain killers and muscle relaxers. Not a lot mind you, but the amount I need has slowly increased over the years. Physical therapy, exercise, stretching, a ridiculous number of hot baths, and deep tissue massage also help to alleviate the worst symptoms, but the pain always returns.

My father, who is in his 70′s and is althetic like he is still in his 30′s, recommend the Dr. Max Power Joint Support with Vitamin B12 – its glucosamine and MSM supplement. I was shocked. In two weeks I was literally pain free, for the first time in years. My back feels better than it has since 1995. The pain is non-existent, and what little there occasionally is resolves with a little stretching. My shoulder, while still clearly injured, has significantly less pain and a vastly increased range of motion. I no longer scream when I pick up the milk jug or my three year old daughter. Overall, I feel better and am in a much sunnier mood.

January 15, 2011 at 1:00 pm
(7) backpain says:

Rick, what are the exercises for the three main hip muscle to fix my rotated hips. My si joint has a lot of movement and gives me lower back pain

August 18, 2011 at 6:37 pm
(8) kathy hanley says:

I have si joint pain and osteophets on my SI joint. Is this the cause of the pain. Does anything make it go away. I have been to the acupunture 10 times and no luck and the chiropractor 47 times and it has helped a little . Is there no cure for this. How about a neurologist?

April 27, 2012 at 9:13 am
(9) Otilia Lacefield says:

a lot lately with my father so hopefully this will get him to see my point of view. Fingers crossed! mortgage banker new york

June 9, 2013 at 3:13 am
(10) Thelma Mack says:

I have split sacroiliac joints on both sides which cause major pain.Got them from falling a lot at work(wet floors).I’ve had cortisone injections which relieved pain for awhile,but now don’t work.Do you have any suggestions to relieve pain,like surgery.
I also have a herniated disc or flat one which causes other pain as well.
Going out for groceries puts me off my feet for a week with excruiating
pain.when weather changes I also know.I am on a low dose of hydromorph contin and hydromorphone which at times barely touches the pain.Please help!

July 7, 2013 at 6:58 pm
(11) Tried everything says:

To Thelma,
Find an anaesthetist who runs a pain clinic, perhaps at a hospital or his office, and inquire about rhizotomy or pulsed radiofrequency ablation. It helped me.

April 13, 2014 at 6:04 am
(12) milsap70 says:

I believe I have SIJoint Dysfunction, I am in chronic pain all the time. When sleeping, first wake up, walking. This has interfered with my daily active life. I have been in numerous auto accidents. I slipped and fell years ago at a restaurant. My pelvis was out of align. I am finally going to see a specialist as this is excruciating everyday. I have been to physical therapy in the past, chiropractor, doing exercises and this pain is chronic and present daily.

What do you think the start of my treatment should be. I have neglected this for years because I thought the chiropractor and physical therapy had helped at that time but recent incidents like the auto accident probably aggravated it again. I am desperate for real treatment now as I cannot tolerate this in my active daily life.

I appreciate any suggestions!!