Patients who had more fat on their arms and legs had higher HAQ scores (worse physical function). Patients who had more lean mass (more muscle) on their arms and legs had lower HAQ scores (better physical function). While other factors also contribute to disability -- in an effort to improve physical function and reduce disability -- rheumatoid arthritis patients should focus on muscle strengthening and fat loss.
- Exercise Is Essential for Arthritis
- Arthritis Affects Daily Living Activities
- Physical Therapy Goals for Arthritis Patients
- Advice for Arthritis Patients About Weight Loss
- Being Overweight Can Prevent Remission of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Join the Discussion:
Photo by Mikhail Kokhanchikov (iStockphoto)