1. Health

Carol Eustice

Sinusitis Can Cause Body Aches That Mimic Arthritis

By September 23, 2008

It's known that many types of arthritis have overlapping symptoms that make it hard for doctors to initially pin down a diagnosis. Researchers from Georgetown University Medical Center are now saying that sinusitis -- a condition that affects 14% of Americans -- can mimic body aches and pains like those associated with arthritis, depression, fibromyalgia, or chronic fatigue syndrome. Since bodily pain is not usually linked to sinusitis in medical references, patients with sinusitis are sometimes misdiagnosed with one of the other conditions.

Sinusitis is not merely the minor localized condition many think it is. If you are a sufferer of sinusitis with body aches and pains, it's important to realize you may not have arthritis too. Successful treatment of sinusitis can relieve body aches and pains in such cases. If sinus medications don't do the job, studies show that endoscopic sinus surgery can improve overall bodily pain. More than 200,000 endoscopic sinus surgeries are performed each year in the United States -- and the technique is reportedly less invasive than before, safe, and effective.

Related Resources:

Share Your Advice and Experiences:

Image © A.D.A.M.

Comments
October 1, 2008 at 5:37 pm
(1) Kristy says:

This is a very interesting article. Thank you so much for the information. This gives me even more incentive now to know that I am making the right decision to get my sinuses tended to, especially since I also have a bone spur in that area.

December 31, 2008 at 12:43 pm
(2) yessenia says:

Thanks to you now i know things i did not know and i am going to do something about it.
Thanks again.

March 26, 2009 at 5:29 pm
(3) Frank says:

I believe this is what is happening to me. I waiting for by insurance to approve by endoscopic sinus surgery. I have a deviated septum and nasal polyps per catscan which my ENT took. I have been suffering from sinus problems for years and they are getting worse and worse. The pain is terrible and now I’m having trouble speeping from the body aches. I pray that the surgery changes this…

September 18, 2010 at 4:41 am
(4) Burnaby Relief says:

Although the sinuses are feeling better, I am actually feeling more aches in my body than before… Getting old sucks.

April 8, 2013 at 10:26 pm
(5) Gina says:

Thank you so much for this information. I was diagnosed today with a sinus infection & have been having body aches & what feels likes arthritis. I feel so much better mentally after reading your article.

December 2, 2013 at 5:59 am
(6) Anthony says:

I have been having sinus problems for months but never like this when I lay down I have such bad a pain in my arms and wake up sweating. I am just glad I found other people with same problem. Antibiotics work but after it is done goes right back to same. Would going to an ent doctor help has it helped anyone else?

March 22, 2014 at 12:39 pm
(7) kerry edwards says:

I have been suffering since August last year. Diagnosed by GP as having sinusitis & kept getting perscribed antib’s. They relieved the symptoms but didn’t get rid of them. I’ve had muscle aches & pains constantly which I thought could be arthrisits but had chest pains also ( this was recently diagnosed as Tietzes Syndrome – inflamation of the cartlidge in your rib cage ) Having now read this article I wonder if the aches & pains were just related to the sinusitis. Didn’t even think the two could be connected because how could your sinus possibly affect the rest of your body, it seems strange doesn’t it. Went to ENT privately last week, had CT scan & now have confirmed chronic sinusitis.All sinuses are blocked completely so I am going to have endoscopic sinus surgery in 3 weeks time. I lost the old me with the sinusitis, makes you so misberable. I have my fingers crossed that all goes well & that I can go back to being the old me.