It is the joint at the base of the big toe (metatarsophalangeal joint, or MTP joint) that is affected and the condition develops gradually over time. Not all injured athletes develop hallux rigidus -- which begs the question: Why do some people develop hallux rigidus but others do not? Read more in Hallux Rigidus - What You Need to Know.
- What Is Degenerative Arthritis?
- Degenerative Arthritis Risk Factors
- Guide to Foot Care / Foot Problems
- An In-Depth Report: Foot / Toe Pain
- Shoe Styles Can Impact Knee Osteoarthritis
- Foot Osteoarthritis - What You Need to Know
Photo © A.D.A.M.