Bismacine, which contains large amounts of bismuth, is not approved for any use by injection. Severe side effects, including kidney failure and cardiovascular collapse, can result from its use. One death, one hospitalization, and several reports of adverse events are being investigated by the FDA.
Lyme disease is caused by an infection with the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi which is transmitted by the bite of a deer tick. Lyme disease may be associated with a characteristic rash and result in complications which include arthritis, neurological symptoms, and heart problems.
- Fast Facts About Lyme Disease
- Guide to Lyme Disease
- Lyme Disease Screening Quiz
- The Lyme Disease Photo Gallery
- Test Your Knowledge: Lyme Disease
- How to Protect Yourself Against Lyme Disease
Photo by Craig Smith (iStockphoto)