1. Health

Carol Eustice

Ambien CR - Dosage - Side Effects - Drug Interactions - Warnings

By September 10, 2005

Ambien CR (zolpidem tartrate extended-release tablets), a new extended-release formulation of the prescription sleep aid, Ambien (zolpidem tartrate), has been FDA approved for the treatment of insomnia. Many arthritis patients are prescribed a sleep medication as part of their treatment plan. The pain associated with arthritis often interferes with sleep.

Ambien CR is non-narcotic and a non-benzodiazepine, formulated to offer a new indication for sleep maintenance, in addition to sleep induction. Ambien CR, a bi-layered tablet. The first layer dissolves quickly to induce sleep. The second layer is released more gradually into the body to help provide more continuous sleep. Ambien CR will be available in a 12.5 mg dose recommended for adults and a 6.25 mg dose recommended for the elderly.

Related Resources:

Comments
August 26, 2008 at 5:28 pm
(1) Cornfields says:

Despite frequent reports of bizarre side effects, Ambien is commonly and safely prescribed to thousands of older Americans, including John McCain. ABC has more on the topic here: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Politics/story?id=4919842 .

It appears that most of the side effects are caused by interrupted sleep patterns, being awakened early etc.

December 17, 2008 at 2:16 am
(2) Douglas Olin says:

Bizzare is exactly how I would describe what happened to me. I remember very little about the night I crashed into a parked big rig which was off the exit ramp parked illegally. I hit the back of his trailer at about 10-20 miles per hour, my brakes on full I did not respond in time to avoid the crash. It was 3am and I had gone to bed about 11:pm that night. Somehow I managed to drive myself to the grocery store, purchase products and end up under the rear end of an 18 wheel trailer. The tow truck operater allowed me to ride home with my vehicle. My vehicle was a total loss. I had taken 1 Ambien 12.5MG tablet. Until I read this web page today I had never made the connection between taking the medication and my bizzare accident. The highway patrolman did not question me accept to ask If I was reaching for something or just loss control. I didn’t know what had happen

September 24, 2009 at 8:44 pm
(3) L.Moore says:

I also had a bizzare experience,after taking one ambien cr 12.5mg pill. I went to bed after taking the pill. I have a vague memory of getting up and going to the kitchen and getting a caramel apple and slicing a piece from it,everything after that is a blank. I woke up the next day,the knife I used to slice the caramel apple on my nightstand, some caramel stains on my sheet and pillowcase. I had some bit of peanut still in my mouth. I have no memory of eating the caramel apple, or what I did with the apple core or stick.

December 11, 2009 at 3:10 am
(4) Buck Cronkite says:

My favorite, out of several, is being awakened several years ago by my seven year old daughter. “Daddy, whatchya doin under the kitchen table? Did you sleep there? Is that a fort? And did you eat that whole big pizza by yourself?”

Gee, duh, Megan, I don’t know what to say. Don’t do drugs, Meg. Never do drugs.

January 19, 2010 at 11:56 pm
(5) Daniel says:

I have PTSD as I started in the Marine Corp, my doctor prescribed me Ambien. I had some rather disturbing experiences but I continue to take it….I apparently had sex with my girlfriend and do not remember it and she said last week I drove my car and do not remember going anywhere…I am being closely monitored by my girlfriend who might as well be my wife…

February 2, 2010 at 2:09 am
(6) Bubba says:

Wooooow I’m blown away I take the 12.5 CR and no major thing but one odd and strange thing I have a ball cap across the other side of the room well I wolk up with it on the other day was like what the f$@k lol weird I’m hiding my keys before I go to sleep my freind actually wake up got in his car drove and came home next day whole side of car was crashed tiers rims wooow

July 27, 2010 at 1:27 am
(7) Sleepy says:

I had a strange experience one time taking ambien. I don’t remember which kind it was or the milligrams. Anyways the next morning after I had taken it the evening before – It felt like I had not got much sleep. Like I had one eye open the whole night and the other eye was out (asleep) I had a vision of a cassette tape.. You know how tapes have the two circles ? Well, my eyes were like that and one was playing and the other not moving. Thank Goodness I wasn’t driving or something crazy like that. That’s a whole nother story though that did not involve ambien.

September 12, 2010 at 12:29 am
(8) Rachel says:

Claritin or Cayanne Pepper (If you can take the heat LOL)

http://www.essenceofsilk.com 100% silk & satin pillowcases, hair wraps & more… hypo-allergenic, anti-bacterial & anti-fungal.

August 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm
(9) ambien experience says:

I’ve been on Ambien for 2 years now and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’ve been an insomniac all my life and Ambien is a miracle cure. My husband and kids absolutely hate it because they say I’m a totally different person when I’m on it. I never have recollection of anything and I don’t think it’s fair that they blame me for something I don’t even know I’m doing. All I know is the sleep is excellent and if you’re considering this medicine it’s good to have someone nearby who’s a light sleeper.

November 2, 2011 at 10:00 am
(10) Bob says:

Ambien has been a real improvement to my sleep life, but it is best to be careful right after taking it. I take it about an hour before I intend to actually go to sleep and sometimes during that hour I do and say things I wish I hadn’t. They are normally humorous, but occassionally very embarrassing. All in all it is much better taking it than doing without it. It’s a good drug, but do so carefully!

November 21, 2011 at 12:31 am
(11) Bia says:

I’ve been taking Ambien CR for 5 years now, but I don’t take it every night, I alternate it with other sleep aids. I’ve done a lot of things that I couldn’t remember the next day, such as pay bills twice, buy something online twice, send text messages to people, call people and say weird stuff. I’ve never waken up after being asleep and to do crazy stuff. I’ve asked my husband to watch me when I take the pill. He normally tells me the things I did the night before and find them entertaining sometimes. Ambien starts working around 20 minutes after you take it, so my doctor told me to take it when you are already in bed, in order to avoid doing things while under the effect of the medication. But sometimes I take it when I’m in bed, and as soon as I start feeling it, I get up and go do work around the house, mop the floor, laundry, clean the bathroom, it’s very weird. But other than that, it helps me to sleep and I wake up the next morning feeling well rested.

October 23, 2012 at 10:26 pm
(12) Bill says:

I’ve been taking Ambien CR nightly for almost two years. I have had no side effects, just two years of restfully sleeping.

November 6, 2012 at 7:24 pm
(13) Dee says:

I have insomnia..and was taking Ambien CR 12.5 for abt 8 yrs. I never felt rested. Abt 4 months ago…I had taken it and gone to bed so I thought. The next morning I check my cell and I had a text…are you home yet?…hmmm…I had sent a txt to someone at a drive-thru at 12:30 AM…I was driving and was asleep, I didn’t believe it so I went to the kitchen and low and behold…there it was…Taco Bell, and a 20 oz drink, which btw…I had to get out and go in to get. I went to bed in a gown and I woke up in a gown….OMG….I don’t even want to think it. Anyway I have since changed my sleep meds completely and I feel rested in the morning, b/c I’m not out joy-riding at all hours of the night. LOL!!! So thankful that nothing bad happened.

January 24, 2014 at 9:22 am
(14) Judith C says:

I have taken Ambien for two yrs. It has helped me have a good night’s rest with out any weird behaviors. I take the 12.5 extended release. I am so glad to have this med. I tried Trazadone and hallucinated and couldn’t breath. So I stick with Ambien.

February 25, 2014 at 3:45 am
(15) lisagraves19@aol.com says:

Ambien is great but you do get ADDICTED , I HAD JUST BOUGHT A NEW TRAIL BLAZOR .my husband drove it once 4 DAYS later I went to the dr. at the time did not know you need to take right before your ready to go to sleep, my husband was on the couch no clue I had taken one and I said im going to my cousins ,which was down the street ,HMM I TOOK the long was hit a mail box knocked the mirror off, called my husband told him someone else hit me ” now a lie” I thought that is what happen, I said I was on my way home needless to say with in that 10 mines I flipped that suv up side down going around a curve.just a few feet from rolling off a bluff! IT is some serious stuff but I know cant sleep with out it and have moved my self up to 20 mg some times 30 if I don’t I will stay up for days …