1. Health

Fibromyalgia trigger points are specific places on the body (18 specific points at 9 bilateral locations) that are exceptionally sensitive to the touch in people with fibromyalgia upon examination by a doctor. Fibromyalgia trigger points exist at these nine bilateral muscle locations:

• Low cervical region: (front neck area) at anterior aspect of the interspaces between the transverse processes of C5-C7.
  • Second rib: (front chest area) at second costochondral junctions.
  • Occiput: (back of the neck) at suboccipital muscle insertions.
  • Trapezius muscle: (back shoulder area) at midpoint of the upper border.
  • Supraspinatus muscle: (shoulder blade area) above the medial border of the scapular spine.
  • Lateral epicondyle: (elbow area) 2 cm distal to the lateral epicondyle.
  • Gluteal: (rear end) at upper outer quadrant of the buttocks.
  • Greater trochanter: (rear hip) posterior to the greater trochanteric prominence.
  • Knee: (knee area) at the medial fat pad proximal to the joint line.
  • See: Fibromyalgia Trigger Points

Fibromyalgia trigger points are also called tender points. According to AAFP, fibromyalgia trigger points is an incorrect term since referred pain differentiates trigger points from tender points.

More Related Resources:

Image © ADAM

Comments
June 16, 2010 at 5:48 pm
(1) Wendy says:

We should really make our selfs learn that Fibromyalgia is not a JOKE! It is very painful and there is very little besides medicen that will help the pain. However, that does not always work!!! Where is our goverment when there are Americans who suffer every waking second, minute, day, and yes weeks, months, years, and so on who can not afford insurance to get treatment!!! WELL I GUESS WE WILL LIVE IN A PAINFUL WORLD!!!!! THANKS WASHINGTON!!! YOU ARE GREAT!!!
Signed:
Survier Fibromyalgia Patient!

August 3, 2010 at 5:11 am
(2) Julie says:

I agree with Wendy……there are so many people suffering with this all over the world (I’m from Australia)………that it needs to be recognised as by our medical profession as a very REAL syndrome indeed, and yet everyone wants to make us believe it’s in our head…………so frustrating and so painful! Someone please come up with a cure!

August 21, 2010 at 3:28 pm
(3) claudia says:

finally fibro being recognized….now we need to have rsd/crps brought out more to the public also………

August 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm
(4) Bill says:

I have chronic pain and I understand all the problems that people have. I have a doctor that I have seen for 18 years. I never hardly missed work and then I was hurt at work and had 5 surgeries. After going through that and feeling better I was in a car wreck. I was never the same and just kept getting worse to the point I would get stuck in bed for days at a time. I live that way now. If the weather changes too fast I’m in bed for a couple days. People don’t understand me. I’m 6’4 240 pounds and I guess they think that since I’m that size it should not happen to someone like me. Well it did and a lot of people said there was nothing wrong with me. Now most understand and see my pain but it don’t make it any easier. I feel sorry for anyone that has gone through what I have and hope that it don’t take as long for their family comes around faster.

August 21, 2010 at 5:25 pm
(5) charles says:

i have had chronic pain in my toe joints for 49 years, finally aftermany tests and docors who had no cause or cure, a pain doctor suggested i try lyrica, what a great help.

August 21, 2010 at 7:28 pm
(6) arleen lawhorn says:

i have fibromyalgia,i was finally diagonesed in 2003 after many years of pain. i have tried lyrica, but it works the opposite way for me, i can’t sleep,i stayed up for a week, i got literly drunk,my dr. pulled me off the drug, is there any relief for me? plesase help….

August 21, 2010 at 8:51 pm
(7) erky says:

Magnetic Jewelry has been known to help Fibromyalgia sufferers. There is a book by Lara Owen called Pain Free with Magnet Therapy that discusses fibromyalgia and magnets. I know it’s hard to believe if you are not familiar with this. Countless people, with fibro, mainly women, swear by magnets. The magnets need to be strong. Beware of fake imitation hematite look alikes. If it doesn’t stick to the refrigerator, it is not magnetic. Non-magnetic hematite is generally a placebo. If you take Lyrica, read the seizure warnings from the drug maker. Do not wear magnets if you have pacemakers etc.

September 11, 2010 at 11:01 pm
(8) Julie says:

I found a way to get rid of my fibro permanently. I was in severe pain for years. I was in so much pain that I could not even go to sleep at night. It was completely debilitating. I tried everything – medication, swimming, aerobics, accu pressure…etc, and nothing worked. I saw a number of rheumatologists, and all they could do was give me a prescription. Then I went to see a chiropractor because I had lower back problems. Of course, he adjusted upper back and neck as well, and after several visit to him, my fibro went away. Now as long as I go see a chiropractor once every two or three weeks for a 5 minute adjustment, I am pain-free!

April 6, 2011 at 9:39 am
(9) Teresa says:

I have also gone to see a chiropractor and have felt some relief. However, not completely pain free. I have realized drinking plenty of water also helps..it releases toxins we have in our muscles. Food sensitivites also can make things bad. I was on a gluten,sugar,corn,peanut,orange,red meat free diet for detoxification and increased my water intake and had gained back so much energy. Began my regular foods again and did a complete reverse. Hurting again. Being checked now for the exact food sensitivity I have-so I can cut that out completly from my diet…

October 16, 2011 at 11:32 pm
(10) mel says:

Does anyone on here notice that warmer weather tends to lesson the pain (some)? I live in Indiana and it is either really hot or really cold we do NOT really have much a Spring or Fall. It weighs heavy on me being I am 38 and should be in prime of my life my 17th doctor (NO KIDDING) before someone believed me. I also suffer from a tumor that they cannot get all the way out needing my 8th surgery. I am too young for all these problems and also have c-2 joint damage in neck which cause pain and severe migranes. I DO NOT WANT MEDS! I WANT TO BE FIXED!…. I have suffered and worked though all this pain until last 3 years or so….and now on Disability and feel useless (like i am here just to simply take up space) I pray someday someone can find a cure. I do want to give thanks to those doctors who DO believe in us. (17th doctor) until I found me a good one and actually believes me. Point is I guess please do NOT give up because it is a rough road but you will find someone to believe in you. I wish you all good health and to be happy……
Mel

November 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm
(11) Ann says:

This day is really to much for me, is the pain something I want to live to bear, I can no longer take this, I can’t sleep the pain feels like a bad tooth ache, I’m I suppose to live like this, I don’t have insurance, no medication, all I want now, is to don’t hurt anymore.

November 10, 2011 at 10:34 pm
(12) pair says:

It’s amazing that this article has been left up with such an inaccurate title. Fibromyalgia has tender points. Myofascial pain syndrome has trigger points. They are not the same thing. A person can have both conditions. This isn’t hard information to find on reputable medical websites.

February 16, 2012 at 4:20 am
(13) J says:

Dear All,

I have been reading about the issue of Fibromyalgia today, and the ‘trigger points’ associated with it. These can be very painful, and difficult to treat alone.

A possible effective starting point for treatment might be the centuries old medical art of Thai Massage practiced by Fibromyalgia sufferers on each other.

If Fibromyalgia sufferers could pair-up, they could understand each others pain, explain their personal pain symptoms/locations/levels of soreness to their ‘treatment partner’, and practice simple non-dangerous Thai massage movements on each other.

Thai massage is done fully clothed (in loose clothing), and Thai massage resources should be readily available on the internet.

One important point to stress is to recognize the difference between 2 types of pain, ‘good’ pain, and ‘bad’ pain;
1- the good ‘wow-you hit the right spot that will make me better’ pain. versus
2 – The bad ‘ouch that really hurts me pain, please stop that immediately’.

I sincerely hope this suggestion can help reduce as much pain as possible within the Fibromyalgia community.

Warm regards,
j

June 1, 2012 at 2:08 pm
(14) Ter says:

I have what I think is fibromyalgia and have had it for many years.
I was just diagnosed with crohn’s after a colonoscoppy last August. That explained the stomach pain and diarrehea. But, I have terrible headaches and I mean almost everyday. I had kidney cancer 2 and a half yrs. ago and cysts, so I have to avoid nsaids. So, I take a painpill, just tylenol doesn’t work. Does anyone else out there get these awful headaches and what do you use to get rid of them. I tried chiropractic and he hurt me, so I stopped going. My spine is degenerated and don’t want someone clicking it around like that. Plz someone, any suggestions??? Ter

August 8, 2012 at 12:15 pm
(15) Tiffany says:

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a few months ago. It’s the most horrible pain that I’ve ever felt in my life. I had wondered why I had migraines for so many years, until I was diagnosed and began treatment. I take so many different medicatios and my doctors are still tweaking the dosage. Sometimes it’s still hard for me to get comfortable enough to go to sleep, because most of my pain is in my hips and buttocks area. I have not slept in my bed for months and now my couch is beginning to be uncomfortable. I take ambien to go to sleep, but sometimes that does not work. Fibromyalgia is no joke, and it seems that no one understands the constant pain that one has from fibro. There are days that I’m in so much pain, that I do not want to move, because every tender point is in pain. I just wish that people that do not understand fibromyalgia, would take time to enlighten themselves.

September 14, 2012 at 7:24 am
(16) edrory says:

I think I belong to this category.
I found a way that significantly reduce to temporarily remove the pain.
back-ground, I suffer pain for over 4 years, no medical findings, pain in the lower back, heaps, shoulders, chest and ribs… the pain wondering from area to area with varying intensity. the solution I use a small device (described later) that allow me to apply sharp and strong pressure along the bones of the back, the spines, the heap,… while using the body weight to control the angle and the amount of pressure (pain), it take between 20 to 60 sec for the pain to vanish from the heart bone area, I then slowly move along the pain line, I do the same in several area, one completed with an area the pain is gone, the area is sensitive, I do not visit that area again if need to for at least 3 days. it allows me to have normal life, it take on average less than 15 min a day, also note that it allows me to exercise the suffring location and increase its flexibility. also notice that it you apply muscle pressure to triggers the pain and allow the pain to present for a similar amount of time as above, it can yield similar affects, I can keep going on the subject and do hope that I managed to assist.

February 3, 2013 at 12:49 am
(17) Cami says:

I have fibromyalgia, and after years of pain I can tell you: the only way to feel better is : don’t touch any meat that has been injected with any solution, never eat restaurant foods, cook everything from scratch using whole ingredients that don’t contain any chemicals, and you will be pain free, and your mood will improve too. Good luck!

February 12, 2013 at 5:38 am
(18) bolcasszony says:

How about homeopathic treatment? When skillfully applied, symptoms can be greatly relieved. The homeopathic remedies are not expensive. I also use a small devise and exercise regularly, but without homeopathy I could not manage at all. I cannot recommend it strongly enough.

March 14, 2013 at 1:44 pm
(19) John says:

I am a 60 year old male. I had ACDF of C5-6 in 2010 for bone growth on the vertebra causing nerve impingement. The surgery was very helpful. In December 2011 I began having almost identical symptoms. It was determined that I needed ACDF of C6-7. The surgery was performed in April 2012. Since waking from the surgery have not been pain free. I’ve had MRI’s, CT’s, Myelograms, Physical Therapy, multiple rounds of steroids and I’m still in constant pain. Muscle relaxers and narcotic pain meds up to 3 times a day. My PCP keeps telling me it may be Fibromyalgia but no one has diagnosed anything. I haven’t worked in a year and am in constant pain. Please tell me it can get better.

May 27, 2013 at 12:20 am
(20) Yvonne says:

I find that when i eat more natural food (whole foods) i have alot less pain food that is without chemicals and artifical additives

June 22, 2013 at 4:03 pm
(21) Kathe says:

I have not been diagnosed yet but I am certain that is what I have … at first I thought the pain came from a bad hip (which I probably had too), so I had a total hip replacement. The pain in my lower half I thought was due to peripheral artery disease and had both legs subjected to angioplasty. I still have unbearable pain … usually much worse at night. My hips, buttocks and lower back hurt so much upon any exertion, when I am lying on either hip or my back, and my neck and shoulders frequently are painful. I attributed everything to the aging process. I have all the trigger points of fibromyalgia except my elbows! I am sick of this pain! Oh, and upon exertion, my chest hurts and I am short of breath. Help!

August 27, 2013 at 9:43 pm
(22) rosalba says:

I tried guaifenensin from Dr. Paul amand , and after 4 months i am better.