1. Health

Discuss in my forum

Carol Eustice

Photosensitivity - Causes - Symptoms - Treatment - Risk Factors

By January 13, 2005

Follow me on:

Photosensitivity causes, symptoms, treatment and risk factors. Photosensitivity is a skin reaction (i.e. rash) that occurs after exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun or an artificial light source.

Photosensitivity can be caused by various agents, including perfume, cosmetics, certain medications, and even the sunscreen that is meant to protect your skin. How do certain medications react with the sun and is the reaction photosensitive, phototoxic, or photoallergic?

What measures can you take to prevent sun sensitivity reactions? What should you be doing? Is there more that you can do besides avoiding sun exposure?

Contact Dermatitis

According to A.D.A.M, "contact dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin caused by direct contact with an irritating or allergy-causing substance (irritant or allergen) vary in the same individual over time. A history of any type of allergies increases the risk for this condition."

A.D.A.M reports, common allergens associated with contact dermatitis include:

  • Poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac and other plants
  • Nickel or other metals
  • Some medications
  • Rubber
  • Cosmetics
  • Fabrics and clothing
  • Detergents
  • Solvents and adhesives
  • Fragrances, perfumes
  • Other chemicals and substances
  • Contact Dermatitis: Overview, Symptoms, Treatment

Photosensitivity and Lupus

Many people with lupus are photosensitive. Skin rashes often first develop or worsen after sun exposure. Photosensitivity can be a feature of both systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE).

Related Resources - Lupus

Photo by ssyjuco (stock.xchng)

Comments
May 24, 2010 at 9:55 pm
(1) kizza says:

just wondering if its genetic?

December 3, 2011 at 4:29 pm
(2) Carol says:
August 22, 2012 at 7:35 am
(3) Maggie Davey says:

Having taken Indapamide 2.5mg for a month, one side of my face became acutely sensitive. I had neuralgia on that side of my skull and I felt very tired and a bit “wobbly”. Since stopping the drug the symptoms have vanished. Could this be due to the drug? I do not react well to drugs as a rule.

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.

We comply with the HONcode standard
for trustworthy health
information: verify here.