1. Health

Carol Eustice

Stem Cells Put Woman's Rheumatoid Arthritis Into Remission

By September 4, 2004

The journal abstract is technical, but the news remarkable. Researchers from Northwestern University in Chicago report in the August 2004 issue of Arthritis & Rheumatism that a 52 year old woman with rheumatoid arthritis in 38 joints has successfully been treated with stem cells from a sibling.

The results: the woman's morning stiffness disappeared before she was released from the hospital; 9 months following transplantation of stem cells the woman's rheumatoid nodules disappeared; one year after the transplant the woman is said to be free of disease and not taking drugs to suppress her immune system. Prior to transplantation the woman was given several drugs to prevent graft-versus-host disease (rejection of the transplanted cells) or serious infection. There was no evidence of either complication. Read more about Stem Cell Research.

Related Resources - Rheumatoid Arthritis

Comments
October 4, 2006 at 12:25 am
(1) B. Bouska says:

What kind of stem cells,adult or embryonic? Why did the article not say?

October 19, 2006 at 11:20 pm
(2) Sara says:

Since the cells were taken from a sibling, they must have been adult cells.

October 3, 2008 at 8:31 am
(3) Komal Gupta says:

Can you please tell me the source & contact details of teh concerned person for getting the treatment of Rheumatoid arthritis?

Awaiting for your positive & earliest response……

October 4, 2008 at 2:16 pm
(4) Carol E says:

If you are asking the contact info for the lead researcher it is the following according to the study abstract:
email: Richard K. Burt (rburt@northwestern.edu)

*Correspondence to Richard K. Burt, Division of Immunotherapy, Northwestern University Medical Center, 320 East Superior, Room 3-489, Chicago, IL 60611

December 30, 2009 at 9:13 pm
(5) Mary M says:

does any one out there know of any research with personal stemcells in RA remission? I saved the nub of my 32.5 yo daughters dried umbilical cord ( go ahead laugh–she has) and I just don’t know where to start on researching this. I also have teeth from the ones the tooth fairy did not make into stars….

March 22, 2010 at 10:10 am
(6) Martin says:

Dear Carol & Richard Eustice,
Would it be possible to contact the lady who was treated with Stem Cell Therapy?
I am suffering from multiple joint failure all over my body and I want to know how is this lady feeling today.
Basically I would like to know how much she has improved and how long ago did she do the procedure.
Best Regards,
Martin

March 24, 2010 at 1:25 pm
(7) Candy says:

I do have an older sister, but unfortunately, she has had severe RA since age 26 and is 12 years older than I am. I am now 63 and came down overnight with SEVERE RA at age 61. I take Methotrexate and Humira which helped me USE my hands and finger again and also WALK. But I still have the “RA fatigue”. My folks did not have RA, but died in their 90′s from other causes. My joints have NOT been replaced, nor have I had fingers and toes removed as has my sister, nor do I have a heart damaged by RA (yet). Could I only receive stem cells from a sister? She is my only relative, and she has RA! My husband is in his late 80′s and is also my caregiver since I cannot drive. He is VERY healthy, but cannot give stem cells since he is not related. What could someone do who hasn’t any living relatives except ONE with RA? I want to be like I was BEFORE RA and at least have about 20 years of a GOOD life. The fatigue is so bad at times, and Humira does not help that. It brought my CRP down from 678 to 2.6, so that is great, but how I wish I was FREE from this disease. Any help out there, do you think?

April 17, 2010 at 2:36 pm
(8) Anil CJ says:

Hi,

My wife picked up RA around 3 years back and she is 29 yrs of age now. We are trying to cautiously explore all probable medicines to find her the relief from never ending pains. Her left hand elbow has developed a restriction in movement. She is carrying at present and is expected to deliver in August. We are exploring the possibility of saving the stem cells present in cord blood, with a firm ray of hope that it would be useful in future, to come out of RA completely.

I would request and appreciate, if anyone can provide more info about the present reasearch being carried out to bring RA into remission using Stem Cells.

Are there any more evidences to conclude that Stem Cells could be used to treat Ra.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Anil

January 19, 2011 at 10:25 pm
(9) FRAN I. PIERCE says:

MY DAUGHTER IS 47, HAD A STEM CELL TRANSPLANT FOR BREAST CANCER 15 YEARS AGO. NEW DIAGNOSIS OF RA, PRESENTLY ON METHOTREXATE. WOULD BIOLOGICALS BE SAFER DECREASE HER CHANCES OF A NEW CANCER?

WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION.

THANKS, FRAN

May 14, 2011 at 2:27 pm
(10) mahesh chandkar says:

Hello Everyone,

Telephone number for stem cell treatment is 020-25535883, pune india. c.j.h. hospital. thanks. mahesh chandkar